Office 365 provides anywhere access to a robust set of productivity and collaboration tools for Waterloo staff, faculty, and students, as well as a secure, and reliable email experience.
Create, connect, collaborate
Sign in to your Office 365 account to get access to the apps you know and love, or explore something new.
Capture notes by typing, drawing, or writing. Organize and reuse your notes across all your devices.
Chat, manage projects, and work on documents all in one place. See the IST knowledge base for support/more information.
Create new plans, organize and assign tasks, share files, chat about what you're working on, and get updates on progress. Submit a new Plan request.
Create actionable, dynamic, and engaging data dashboards to share with your team.
Accounts for all new students and employees will be auto-created once the Registrar's Office or human resources system recognizes the individual as a student or an employee. Please review the Office 365 Activation: Statement of use.
Enrol in Duo two-factor authentication (2FA)
All new undergraduate and graduate students must enrol in the University's two-factor authentication (2FA) service, powered by Duo.
2FA provides an extra layer of security to your University accounts. Verifying your identity using a second factor (like your mobile device) prevents others from accessing your accounts, even if they know your password. Enrol using the Duo Mobile App for the most secure and convenient 2FA experience.
Enter a password recovery email address
Students, please log in to WatIAM to enter a password recovery email address. This must be an external email i.e. you cannot use a @uwaterloo.ca email address
Access your Office 365 account
Follow the steps below to access your Office 365 account through a browser, to download O365 mobile apps, or to install the Office suite of apps on up to five personally owned devices or computers.
Through your browser
- Go to https://portal.office.com
- Enter your email as email@example.com
- You will be redirected to Waterloo's sign-in page
- Enter your WatIAM password and click Sign in
Office mobile apps
Office 365 mobile apps offer a consistent experience across devices allowing you to view and edit documents on the go, while keeping your data secure.
Visit your app store to download Office mobile apps or find more information below.
Add to a personal device
Log in to your Office 365 account to obtain and manage your copies.
Office @ Work
At work, or when using a University-owned computer, staff, faculty, and graduate students should use the version of Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) installed and managed by their IT support group.
Expectation of privacy
- Please see Guidelines on use of Waterloo computing and network resources.
- Questions about privacy? Please submit to the University Privacy Officer.
- View Microsoft's Privacy Statement.
Expectation of use
- Use of this service is governed by the Guidelines on use of Waterloo computing and network resources.
- This service shall not be used for the storage or transmission of Highly Restricted data as defined by University Policy 46, Information Management.
- Data stored in this service are subject to Microsoft data retention policies which may change from time to time. There is no capability to restore deleted data beyond the user-accessible facilities (e.g. versions and recycle bin) provided by Microsoft.
- Users of this service are expected to exercise the utmost care when sharing files, e.g. verify spelling of names and email addresses.