Office 365 provides anywhere access to a robust set of productivity and collaboration tools for Waterloo staff, faculty, and students, as well as a secure, and reliable email experience for undergraduate students.
Create, connect, collaborate
Activate your Office 365 account to get access to the apps you know and love, or explore something new.
With 5TB of storage, you can store your files in one place, share them (even externally), and get to them from any device.
Capture notes by typing, drawing, or writing. Organize and reuse your notes across all your devices.
Trims, enhances, and makes pictures of whiteboards and documents readable. Convert images to PDF, Word and PowerPoint files, and save to OneNote, OneDrive, or your local device.
Download to your device from the appropriate app store.
Create actionable, dynamic, and engaging data dashboards to share with your team.
Staff, faculty and graduate students
On September 19, IST activated Microsoft Office 365 accounts for members of the following groups that had not yet activated their account:
- Member is full time faculty, or
- full time staff, or
- full time contract (temporary), or
- has a job with the “Job Family Group” equal to “Affiliated Colleges/Institutions Family Group”
The self-activation feature is no longer available. Accounts for new employees will be auto-created once the human resources system recognizes the individual as an 'employee'.
One time only
- Login to WatIAM using the same credentials as Quest
- Choose Change Password box
- Create new password and click Proceed
- Logout (top right corner)
- Your account will be created within 30 minutes
Please review the Office 365 Activation: Statement of use
Access your Office 365 account
Through your browser
- Go to https://portal.office.com
- Enter your email as firstname.lastname@example.org (undergraduate students should use @edu.uwaterloo.ca)
- You will be redirected to Waterloo's sign in page
- Enter your WatIAM password and click Sign in
Office mobile apps
Office 365 mobile apps offer a consistent experience across devices allowing you to view and edit documents on the go, while keeping your data secure.
Visit your app store to download Office mobile apps or find more information below.
Add to a personal device
Log in to your Office 365 account to obtain and manage your copies.
Office @ Work
At work, or when using a University-owned computer, staff, faculty, and graduate students should use the locally installed version of Microsoft Office.
Please do not download Office 365 ProPlus versions to University-owned computers (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Expectation of privacy
- Please see Guidelines on use of Waterloo computing and network resources.
- Questions about privacy? Please submit to the University Privacy Officer.
- View Microsoft's Privacy Statement.
Expectation of use
- Use of this service is governed by the Guidelines on use of Waterloo computing and network resources.
- This service shall not be used for the storage or transmission of Highly Restricted data as defined by University Policy 46, Information Management.
- Data stored in this service are subject to Microsoft data retention policies which may change from time to time. There is no capability to restore deleted data beyond the user-accessible facilities (e.g. versions and recycle bin) provided by Microsoft.
- Users of this service are expected to exercise the utmost care when sharing files, e.g. verify spelling of names and email addresses.