SDSN Canada’s mission is to mobilize Canadian scientific and technological expertise to facilitate learning and accelerate problem solving for the UN’s Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). To these ends, SDSN Canada will mobilize support throughout the country for the SDGs, promote practical Solutions Initiatives and long-term pathways for sustainable development, promote high-quality education and research collaboration, and support governments in understanding and addressing the challenges of sustainable development.
The University of Waterloo is the founding institution for SDSN Canada in partnership with the Waterloo Global Science Initiative (WGSI). As host, the University of Waterloo will use its position as home to Canada’s largest Faculty of Environment to share knowledge, activate research and help solve the interconnected economic, social, and environmental challenges confronting the world.
What SDSN Canada will do?
- Build an on-going pan-Canadian network of post-secondary institutions, civil society, and others, to facilitate learning and accelerate problem solving for sustainable development
- Link Canadian experts to the global SDSN and to global discussions on a universal agenda for sustainable development
- Organize national/sub-national sustainable development meetings bringing together key actors to identify and promote regional solutions initiatives
- Foster debate on sustainable development within Canadian academia and society more broadly
- Conduct action-oriented research that helps Canada adopt and implement policies and practices that provide international leadership in sustainability
- Develop and continually improve educational programming for sustainable development
The SDSN has been operating globally since 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General. The SDSN is building national and regional networks of knowledge institutions, solution-focused thematic networks, and the SDG Academy, an online knowledge-hub for sustainable development courses. Learn more about SDSN worldwide.