The Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre (TMTC) has been designated to coordinate the Mennonite Scholars and Friends (MSF) events at the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature (AAR/SBL), which meets every November. We do this on behalf of Mennonite and Anabaptist-affiliated post-secondary institutions, and the many individual scholars who participate in these events. The reception and forum are open to any who wish to attend.
2017 – Boston
Friday, November 17, 2017, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Location: Hilton Boston Back Bay, Belvidere Ballroom, Salon A
- Kimberly Penner, Emmanuel College, Toronto School of Theology, presiding
- John Kampen, Methodist Theological School in Ohio, “The Gospel of Matthew and Antisemitism”
- Maxwell Kennel, McMaster University, “Emancipatory History: Anabaptist Restitution and Jacob Taubes’ Occidental Eschatology”
- Philipp Gollner, Goshen College, “Mennonites on Tour: Christian Supersessionisms and the Sacralization of Place after the Shoah”
- Lois Barrett, Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, responding
Friday, November 17, 2017, 8:30-10:00 p.m.
Location: Hilton Boston Back Bay, Westminster Room
A program committee oversees the annual forum. Current members include Kyle Gingerich Hiebert (coordinator), Melanie Howard, Chris Huebner, Kimberly Penner, Jamie Pitts, and Laura Schmidt Roberts. Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome and can be directed to Kyle Gingerich Hiebert.
The following institutions have committed to paying an annual amount towards the cost of these events: Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Bethel College, Bluffton University, Canadian Mennonite University, Columbia Bible College, Conrad Grebel University College, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, Eastern Mennonite University, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary, Goshen College, Humanitas Anabaptist-Mennonite Centre (Trinity Western University), Mennonite Mission Network, Messiah College, Tabor College, and the Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre.