The Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre (TMTC) has been designated to coordinate the Mennonite Scholars and Friends (MSF) events at the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature (AAR/SBL), which meets every November. We do this on behalf of Mennonite and Anabaptist-affiliated post-secondary institutions, and the many individual scholars who participate in these events. The reception and forum are open to any who wish to attend.
2019 – San Diego
Friday, November 22nd, 2019, 6:30pm—8:30pm
Location: Hilton Bayfront - Indigo D (Second Level)
Theme: Migration, Borders, and Belonging
- Melanie Howard, Fresno Pacific University, presiding
- Jennifer Graber, University of Texas, "Missionary Encounters with Native Christian Epistemologies"
- Felipe Hinojosa, Texas A&M University, "Borderlands in the Mennonite Imagination"
- Joseph Wiebe, University of Alberta, Augustana, "Race, Religion, and Land in The Gods of Indian Country"
- Hyejung Jessie Yum, University of Toronto, "A Postcolonial Response to Felipe Hinojosa’s Latino Mennonites"
Friday, November 22nd, 2019, 8:30pm—10:00pm
Location: Hilton Bayfront - Indigo E (Second Level)
A program committee oversees the annual forum. Current members include Kyle Gingerich Hiebert (coordinator), Melanie Howard, Chris Huebner, Kimberly Penner, Jamie Pitts, Andrea Saner, Nindyo Sasongko, and Hyejung Jessie Yum. Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome at any time and can be directed to TMTC.
The following institutions have committed to paying an annual amount towards the cost of these events: Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Bethel College, Bluffton University, Canadian Mennonite University, Columbia Bible College, Conrad Grebel University College, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, Eastern Mennonite University, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary, Goshen College, Humanitas Anabaptist-Mennonite Centre (Trinity Western University), Mennonite Mission Network, Messiah College, Tabor College, and the Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre.