The faculty is the first Faculty of Mathematics to hold Sponsoring Institutional Membership of the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM).
AWM encourages women and girls to study and have active careers in the mathematical sciences, and to promote equal opportunity and equal treatment of women and girls in the mathematical sciences.
As part of this sponsorship faculty, postdoctoral fellows and students who wish to join AWM, qualify for free membership. If you would like to join or renew your membership, please send us your name, email and position by submitting this form before November 26, 2022.
Here are some more details about AWM and UW sponsorship:
The purpose of the Association for Women in Mathematics is to encourage women and girls to study and to have active careers in the mathematical sciences, and to promote equal opportunity and the equal treatment of women and girls in the mathematical sciences. AWM provides various programs and platforms to support women directly as well as to help influence the mathematics culture more generally. Some of these programs/platforms include:
- Networking opportunities for active undergraduate or graduate students and for women faculty in research departments
- Awards to recognize and showcase the work of exceptional women and men.
- Grants for Travel and Mentoring
- Meetings, such as AWM Research Symposium
- Resources about careers
- and many more.
“We need to take more initiatives and concrete actions to advocate for women, and particularly women of colour, who are disproportionately facing obstacles in pursuing careers in mathematics. This move by our faculty constitutes one of such initiatives,” said Mark Giesbrecht, dean of the Faculty of Mathematics. “Sponsoring the programs of AWM, currently the leading non-profit society for women in the mathematical sciences around the world, shows our commitment to supporting women in mathematics globally.”
As sponsors, our faculty, postdoctoral fellows and students can become members by submitting a membership application form to WiM every Fall. The faculty will also receive up to 15 newsletter subscriptions and AWM Symposium Discounts for each non-student member. In addition to the promotion of the Faculty of Mathematics in various publications, we receive discounted advertising.
Waterloo Math's AWM sponsoring institutional membership also includes some additional benefits for us and in particular, those that might be of your interest are the following:
- AWM membership for faculty, postdoctoral fellows and students.
- Newsletter subscriptions. We can receive up to 15 (paper) subscriptions with an expressed expectation that the newsletters would at least eventually be placed in libraries, study lounges, and other gathering spots.
- AWM Symposium Discount for each non-student member.
- Advertising. 25% discount on all AWM advertising, one free full-page Newsletter ad for the university, one free half-page ad for each of the 5 departments and two free online job ads for each department. See: https://awm-math.org/publications/advertising/
- Newsletter advertisements: Ad copy and material should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadlines are December 1, February 1, April 1, June 1, August 1, and October 1.
Online job board: Instructions can be found on https://awm-math.org/jobboard/ as well as a link to the submission form.