Hiring a WIL student can help your organization take a proactive approach with your talent pipeline. It's a low risk way to recruit talented individuals to your organization. Many employers think of the WIL experience as a long job interview - it provides you with the opportunity to assess the student's skills and fit within the organization, and determine if they are the right fit for a long-term position.
Here are some exapmples of ways that WIL students can be part of your organization's talent pipeline:
Attract talented individuals to your organization
- Draw from a wide talent pool of students
- Develop brand recognition among students to attract the next generation of talent
- Hire for potential - not just to fill an immediate need
Prepare for organizational change
- Plan for retirements, turnover, and uncertainty by increasing your talent pipeline (looking 3, 5, 10 years ahead)
- Prepare for growth (planning to enter new markets, new products)
- Use students to bring new ideas and innovation into the organization
Make the most of your resources
- Save money - WIL students are a low or no cost option to address immediate labour needs
- Reduce recruiting and training costs by hiring your WIL student again in future terms and after graduation
- Hiring WIL students is a way to give back to your community through training and developing future professionals
- Are you ready to manage the workforce of the future?
- Universities: A Talent Pipeline for Ontario Organizations?