SLaS is back for the Winter 2023 Term!
The Writing and Communication Centre's great Speak Like a Scholar program is back in asynchronous format for the Winter 2023 term!
The program will run for 6 weeks from January 30th, 2023 to March 10th, 2023.
Applications for our Speak Like a Scholar program will open on December 11th, 2022 and close on January 11th, 2022.
What is "Speak Like a Scholar"?
The grad-oriented Speak Like a Scholar program will offer instructional modules, discussion topics, and feedback addressing many aspects of giving oral presentations in an academic context:
- Drafting spoken versus written texts
- Performance strategies and mental skills for public presentations
- Cultural contexts and expectations for spoken communication
- Principles of visual aid design
- Practising presentations in online contexts (e.g. live webinar)
- Responding to questions and formulating questions for fellow presenters
Because Speak Like a Scholar is structured to get you from the very beginnings of a plan all the way to a completed presentation, the first few weeks focus on planning, outlining, and drafting. In the second half of the program, you will have two opportunities to practice delivering presentations in front of your audience.