Bachelor of Arts (BA) Waterloo, Master of Arts (MA) Queen's, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Waterloo
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 32595
Office: Biology 2 256B
Research activities focus on the conduct of inter-disciplinary programs in the areas of freshwater fisheries ecology and management and the application of stable isotope analysis to the study of problems in fish ecology. Current projects include collaboration with: the Department of Fisheries and Oceans on an analysis of possible climate change effects on anadromous and lacustrine stocks of Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus), the Irish Charr Conservation Group on competitive interactions between Arctic char and brown trout (Salmo trutta) in Irish lakes, the study of trophic polymorphisms among Canadian lacustrine Arctic char and the use of oxygen isotopes for thermal reconstructions. Graduate students are currently working on studying the impacts of water abstraction on headwater brook char (Salvelinus fontinalis) populations, comparative foodweb analyses of Lake Oneida and the Bay of Quinte as affected by zebra mussel invasions, estimation of species-specific oxygen isotope fractionation equations for use in climate change studies and the impacts of climate on barren-grounds caribou herds on Southampton Island.
An anadromous Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus) from southern Quebec
An ungava landlocked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
A large form, profundal Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus) from northern Quebec
Lake Aigneau, northern Quebec
- Godiksen, J.A., Power, M., Borgstrom, R., Dempson, J.BG. and Svenning, M.-A. 2012. Thermal habitat use and juvenile growth of Svalbard Arctic charr: evidence from otolith stable oxygen isotope analyses. 21:134-44.
- Gutowsky, L.F.G., Harrison, P.M., Power, M., and Cooke, S.J. 2011. Injury and immediate mortality associated with recreational troll capture of bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) in a reservoir in the Kootenay-Rocky Mountain region of British Columbia. Fisheries Research 109:379-383.
- Fagan, K.-A., Koops, M. A., Arts, M.T. and Power, M. 2011. Assessing the utility of C:N ratios for predicting lipid content in fishes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 68:374-385.
- Godiksen,J.A., Svenning, M.-A., Sinnatamby, R.N., Dempson, J.B., Borgstrom, R. and Power, M. 2011. Stable isotope-based determinations of the average temperatures experienced by young-of-the-year Svalbard Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus (L.)). Polar Biology. 34:591-596.
- Smokorowski, K.E., Bergeron, N. Boisclair, D., Clarke, K., Cooke, S., Cunjak, R., Dawson, J., Eaton B., Hicks, F., Higgins, P., Katopodis, C., Lapointe, M., Legendre, P., Power, M., Randall, R., Rasmussen, J., Rose, G., Saint-Hilaire, A., Sellars, B., Swanson, G., Winfield, N., Wysocki, R., and Zhu, D. 2011. NSERC's HydroNet: A National Research Network to Promote Sustainable Hydropower and Healthy Aquatic Ecosystems. Fisheries. 36:480-488.
- Murchie, K. J. and Power, M. 2004. Growth and feeding related isotopic dilution and enrichment patterns in young-of-the-year yellow perch (Perca flavescens). Freshwater Biology. 49:41-54.
- Dempson, J. B. and Power, M. 2004. Use of stable isotopes to distinguish farmed from wild Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Ecology of Freshwater Fish. 13:176-184.
- Guiguer, K. R. R. A., Drimmie, R. and Power, M. 2003. Validating methods for measuring d18O and d13C in the otoliths from freshwater fish. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 17:463-471.
- Power, M., Guiguer, K. R. R. A. and Barton, D. R. 2003. Effects of temperature on isotopic enrichment in Daphnia magna: implications for aquatic food-web studies. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 17:1619-1625.
- Attrill, M. J. and Power, M. 2002. Climatic influence on a marine fish assemblage. Nature. 417:275-278.
- Guiguer, K. R. R. A., Reist, J. D., Power, M. and Babaluk, J. A. 2002. Using stable isotopes to confirm the trophic ecology of Arctic charr morphotypes from Lake Hazen, Nunavut, Canada. Journal of Fish Biology. 60:348-362.
- Power, M., Attrill, M. J. and Thomas, R. M. 2002. Environmental influences on the long-term fluctuations in the abundance of gadoid species during estuarine residence. Journal of Sea Research. 47:185-194.
- Power, M., Power, G., Caron, F., Doucett, R. R. and Guiguer, K. R. A. 2002. Growth and dietary niche in Salvelinus alpinus and Salvelinus fontinalis as revealed by stable isotope analysis. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 64:75-85.
- Power, M., Klein, G. M., Guiguer, K. R. R. A. and Kwan, M. K. H. 2002. Mercury accumulation in the fish community of a sub-Arctic lake in relation to trophic position and carbon sources. Journal of Applied Ecology. 39:819-830.
- Power M., Attrill, M.J. and Thomas, R.M. 2000. Environmental factors and interactions affecting the temporal abundance of juvenile flatfish in the Thames estuary. Journal of Sea Research. 43: 135-149.
- Power, M., Dempson, J. B., Power, G. and Reist, J. D. 2000. Environmental influences on an exploited anadromous Arctic charr stock in Labrador. Journal of Fish Biology. 57:82-98.
- Attrill, M. J. and Power, M. 2000. The effects on invertebrate populations of drought-induced changes in estuarine water quality. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 203:133-143.
- Attrill, M. J., Power, M. and Thomas, R.M. 1999. Modelling estuarine Crustacea population fluctuations in response to physico-chemical trends. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 178:89-99.
- Doucett, R. R., Power, M., Power, G., Caron, F.& Reist, J. D. 1999. Evidence for anadromy in a southern relict population of Arctic char from North America. Journal of Fish Biology. 55:84-92.
- Power, M., Dempson, J.B., Power, G. and Reist, J. D. 2000. Environmental influences on an exploited anadromous Arctic charr stock in Labrador. Journal of Fish Biology. 57: 82-98.
- Power, M., Attrill, M.J. and Thomas, R.M. 2000. Temporal abundance patters and growth of juvenile herring and sprat from the Thames estuary 1977-1992. Journal of Fish Biology. 56: 1408-1426.
- Power, M., Attrill, M.J. and Thomas, R.M. 1999. Heavy metal concentration trends in the Thames estuary. Water Research 33: 1672-1680.
- Power, M., Attrill, M.J. and Thomas, R.M. 1999. Trends in agricultural pesticide (atrazine, lindane, simazine) concentrations in the Thames estuary. Environmental Pollution. 104: 31-39.
- Attrill, M.J. and Power, M.1999. Modelling the effect of drought on estuarine water quality. Water Research. 34: 1584-1594.
- Power M. and Van den Heuvel, M.R. 1999. Variability in YOY yellow perch growth and its relationship to temperature. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 128: 687-700.
- Power, M. 2002. The analysis of fish population responses to stress. Pages 379-429 in S. M. Adams [ed]. Biological Indicators of Aquatic Ecosystem Stress. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.