Welcome to Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research
Explore and Exploit Microbes
The mandate of the Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research (WCMR) is to promote research and education in the application of microbiological principles and techniques to address environmental, industrial, economic and human health challenge.
Members, with their diverse research interests and varying academic backgrounds, through the WCMR, come together to engage in collaborative research in which microbes, as part of aquatic, terrestrial, engineered and host-associated environments, are explored through;
• computational analysis of sequence data
• identification of constituent species
• annotation and identification of novel molecular activities
• development of synthetic biology applications
• engineering of microbial processes for industrial applications
• participation in international sharing
• standardization of big data.
The Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research as a group, plans to unify, catalyze, and promote multidisciplinary research which explores and exploits microbes, at the University of Waterloo.
- June 30, 2021
- July 6, 2020
The WCMR participated in a panel of international experts as part of our membership representing Canada in the international, EU funded project MicrobiomeSupport. The outcome of this workshop and subsequent online survey was to propose a widely accepted definition of 'microbiome', which was just published in the journal Microbiome.
- Apr. 13, 2020
The WCMR has released a video explaining the antibody serum test for the SARS-CoV-2 virus.