Trevor Charles carries out research in bacterial genetics and is an expert on analyzing genetic material recovered directly from environmental samples, also known as functional metagenomics.
In 2015, Prof. Charles was honoured with an Ontario Genomics Institute SPARK Award for an innovative project that uses waste methane to create renewable bioplastics.
Office: B1 377C
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 35606
- Plant-microbe interactions
- Symbiotic nitrogen fixation
- Functional metagenomics
- Bacterial genome engineering
- Synthetic biology, bioplastics and bioproducts
Professor Charles is a microbiologist with expertise in bacterial molecular genetics. His research group studies the mechanisms of gene regulatory circuits that control the interactions of Rhizobiales bacteria such as Sinorhizobium meliloti with their eukaryal hosts.
The group also develops methods for functional metagenomics using alternate surrogate hosts, and employs these methods to isolate novel genes with interesting functions from microbial community genomic libraries.
Current research emphasis is on functional metagenomics, bioplastics and bacterial genome engineering.
Professor Charles teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses. Course offerings have included
- BIOL 240 - Fundamentals of Microbiology
- BIOL 349 - Synthetic Biology Design Project
- BIOL 431 - Bacterial Molecular Genetics
- BIOL 475 - Topics in Applied Microbiology
- BIOL 608 - Advanced Molecular Genetics
Please see Dr. Trevor Charles' links on Google Scholar for a current list of his peer-reviewed articles.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2015 Fellowship of Association of Biotechnology and Pharmacy (India)
- 2015 International Award of the Ninth DBN Science and Technology Awards (China)
- 2000-2010 President, Canadian Society of Microbiologists
- 1991 NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Centre for Bioengineering and Biotechnology (Associate Director)
- The Water Institute, member
- Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy (WISE), member
- Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research (Director)
Professional Associations and Service
- Journal Editorship
- Associate Editor, BMC Microbiology
- Editorial Board, Frontiers in Microbiology
- Professional Associations
- American Society for Microbiology
- Canadian Society of Microbiologists
- International Society for Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions
- International Society for Microbial Ecology
1991 PhD Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
1985 BSc Microbiology, University of British Columbia