Simon D.X. Chuong
Undergraduate Advisor (Biology)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Washington State University)
Bachelor of Science (BSc), Master of Science (MSc), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Calgary
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 38142
Office: B1 267A
Labs: Biology 1 267 and 268
My research deals with plant cell and molecular biology. The central goal of my research program is to elucidate the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying the structure and function of single-cell C4 photosynthesis occurring in two genera of terrestrial plants. Major interests include characterizing the role of the cytoskeleton and its regulatory proteins in the movement of organelles and localization of macromolecules leading to the establishment of cellular polarity in plant cells. We use a combination of approaches such as biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, and cell biology ranging from standard immunofluorescence and immunogold electron microscopy to the latest imaging techniques involving fluorescent-tagged proteins in living cells to investigate these research topics. These studies will provide essential information on the development and evolution of single-cell C4 photosynthesis in terrestrial plants. Understanding the mechanisms that control the compartmentalization of organelles and biochemistry in these fascinating single-cell C4 systems is crucial as it may provide opportunities for incorporating their unique characteristics into C3 crops to improve carbon assimilation and plant productivity.
- Lung, SC and Chuong SDX. 2012. A Transit Peptide?Like Sorting Signal at the C-Terminus Directs the Bienertia sinuspersici Preprotein Receptor Toc159 to the Chloroplast Outer Membrane. Plant Cell (in press)
- Lung, SC, Yanagisawa M and Chuong SDX. 2012. Isolaton of dimorphic chloroplasts from the single-cell C4 species Bienertia sinuspersici. BMC Plant Methods. 8:8.
- Northmore JA, Zhou V and Chuong SDX. 2012. Multiple shoot induction and plant regeneration of the single-cell C4 species Bienertia sinuspersici. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult. 108:101-109.
- Lung, SC, Yanigisawa, M, and Chuong, SDX. 2011. Protoplast isolation and transient gene expression in the single-cell C4 species, Bienertia sinuspersici. Plant Cell Rep. 30:473-48.
- Voznesenskaya, EV, Koteyeva, NK, Chuong, SDX, Franceschi, VR and Edwards, GE. 2011. Structural, biochemical and physiological characterization of photosynthesis in two C4 subspecies of Tecticornia indica and the C3 species Techticornia pergranulata (Chenopodiaceae). J. Exp Bot. 63:3197-3212.
- Akhani H, Ghasemkhani M, Chuong SDX, and Edwards GE. 2008. Kranz anatomy and development of NAD-ME C4 type photosynthesis in Blepharis ciliaris (L.) B.L. Burtt (Acanthaceae). J. Exp. Biol. 59:1755-1765.
- Voznesenskaya EV, Akhani H, Koteyeva NK, Chuong SDX, Roalson E, Kiiratis O, Franceschi VR and Edwards, GE. 2008. Structural, Biochemical and physiological characterization of photosynthesis in two C4 subspecies of Tecticornia indica and the C3 species Tecticornia pergranulata (Chenopodiaceae). J. Exp Bot. 59: 1715-1734.
- Voznesenskaya EV, Chuong SDX, Koteyeva NK, Franceschi VR, Freitag H and Edwards GE. 2007. Structural, biochemical and physiological characterization of C4 photosynthesis in species having two vastly different types Kranz anatomy in genus Suaeda (Chenopodiaceae). Plant Biol. 6:745-757.
- Edwards GE, Voznesenskaya VE, Smith M, Koteyeva NK, Park YI, Park JH, Kiirats,O, Okita, TW and Chuong, SDX. 2008. Breaking the paradigm in C4 photosynthesis: Does it hold promise for C4 rice? In: Charting New Pathways to C4. Eds Sheehy JE, Mitchell PL and Hardy B. World Scientific Publishing Co. pp. 249-273.
- Voznesenskaya, EV, Koteyeva, NK, Chuong, SDX, Ivanova, AN, Barroca, J and Edwards, GE. 2007. Physiological, anatomical and biochemical characterization of the type of photosynthesis in genus Cleome (Cleomaceae). Functional Plant Biology 34:247-267.
- Boyd, CN, Franceschi, VR, Chuong, SDX, Akhani, H, Kiirats, O, Smith, M and Edwards, GE. 2007. Flowers of Bienertia cycloptera and Suaeda aralocaspica complete the life cycle performing single-cell C4 photosynthesis. Functional Plant Biology 34:268-281.
- Chuong, SDX, Franceschi, VR and Edwards, GE. 2006. The cytoskeleton maintains organelle partitioning required for single-cell C4 photosynthesis in Chenopodiaceae species. Plant Cell 18:2207-2223. (Highlighted article in the “In Brief” section).
- Lara, VM, Chuong, SDX, Ahkani, H, Andreo, CS and Edwards, GE. 2006. Species having C4 single-cell-type photosynthesis in the Chenopodiaceace family evolved a photosynthetic phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase like that of Kranz-type C4 species. Plant Physiol. 142:673-684.
- Voznesenskaya, EV, Franceschi, VR, Chuong, SDX and Edwards, GE. 2006. Functional characterization of PEPCK type C4 leaf anatomy: Immuno, cytochemical and ultrastructural analyses. Ann. Bot. 98:77-91.
- Chuong, SDX, Park, NI, Freeman, MC, Mullen, RT and Muench, DG. 2005. The peroxisomal multifunctional protein binds to cortical microtubules in plant cells. BMC Cell Biol. 6:40.
- Voznesenskaya, EV, Koteyeva, NK, Chuong, SDX, Edwards, GE, Akhani, H and Franceschi, VR. 2005. Differentiation of cellular and biochemical features of the single cell C4 syndrome during leaf development in Bienertia cycloptera (Chenopodiaceae). Am. J. Bot. 92:1784-1795. (Cover illustration).
- Voznesenskaya, EV, Chuong, SDX, Kiirats, O, Franceschi, VR and Edwards, GE. 2005. Evidence that C4 species in genus Stipagrostis, family Poaceae, are NADP-malic enzyme subtype with nonclassical type of Kranz anatomy (Stipagrostoid). Plant Sci. 168:731-739.
- Voznesenskaya, EV, Chuong, SDX, Franceschi, VR and Edwards, GE. 2005. Distribution of components of C4 photosynthesis in the triple layered chlorenchyma of Aristida (Poaceae). Funct. Plant Biol. 32:67-77.
- Chuong, SDX, Freeman, MC, Moorhead, GBG, Good, AG, Taylor, GJ and Muench, DG. 2004 . Large-scale identification of tubulin binding proteins provides insight on subcellular trafficking, metabolic channeling, and signaling in plant cells. Mol. Cell. Prot. 3:970-983. (Commentary in Faculty 1000).
- Chuong, SDX, Mullen, RT and Muench, DG. 2002. Identification of a rice RNA-and microtubule-binding protein as the multifunctional protein, a peroxisomal enzyme involved in the b-oxidation of fatty acids. J. Biol. Chem. 277:2419-2429.