Dr. Hassan Baaj joined the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Waterloo in September 2014 as an Associate Professor in the area of Pavement Engineering and Management. He will also be a member of the Norman W. McLeod Chair in Sustainable Pavement Engineering led by Professor Susan Tighe.
Hassan's main research interests include:
- Characterisation and modelling of the behaviour of construction materials (aggregates, cement, concrete, bitumen, and asphalt mixes).
- Flexible and rigid pavement engineering and design
- Optimization of the use of recycled materials in sustainable infrastructure systems
- Sustainable development and environmentally friendly solutions for road construction
- Influence of the characteristics of the aggregates on the durability of pavements
Professional Activity Highlights
- Active member of the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) - (Québec Association of Engineers)
- Adjunct Professor - Ecole de Technology Supérieure (ETS), Montreal (Québec) - Feb. 2004 to Feb. 2006
- Member of the International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP
- Member of the Canadian Technical Asphalt Assciation (CTAA)
- Member of several technical committees of the RILEM
- Scientific Reviewer for several international journals and member of several scientific committee of international conferences