Fahkri is a Research Chair Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and holds the Loblaws Research Chair in Artificial Intelligence. He is the Co-Director of the University of Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute. Professor Karray’s research interests are in the areas of operational artificial intelligence, cognitive machines, natural human-machine interaction, autonomous and intelligent systems. Applications of Karray’s research include cognitive and self-aware machines/robots/vehicles, predictive analytics in supply chain management and intelligent transportation systems. He is a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada and a Fellow of the IEEE. He has been an IEEE Distinguished Lecturer.
- Operational Artificial Intelligence
- Computational intelligence
- Natural Human-machine interaction
- Cognitive Robotics
- Autonomous and self aware machines
- AI Based Supply Chain
- 1989, Doctorate, Systems and Control, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1984, Ing. Dip (M.Sc), Electrical Engineering, Universite de Tunis, Ecole Nationale d'Ingnieurs
- ECE 457B - Fundamentals of Computational Intelligence
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Ou, Chaojie and Karray, Fakhri, Deep learning-based driving maneuver prediction system, IEEE transactions on vehicular technology, 69(2), 2020, 1328 - 1340
- Ben Amara, Hassene and Karray, Fakhreddine, End-to-end multiview gesture recognition for autonomous car parking system, Int. Journal of Instrumentation, 6(3), 2020, 76 - 89
- C. Ou and F. Karray, Enhancing driver distraction recognition using generative adversarial networks, IEEE Trans. Intelligent Vehicles, 5(3), 2020, 385 - 396
- El Khatib, Alaa and Ou, Chaojie and Karray, Fakhri, Driver inattention detection in the context of next-generation autonomous vehicles design: a survey, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2019
- Nassar, Lobna and Karray, Fakhri, Overview of the crowdsourcing process, Knowledge and Information Systems, 2019, 1 - 24
- Ibrahim, Rania and Elbagoury, Ahmed and Kamel, Mohamed S and Karray, Fakhri, Tools and approaches for topic detection from Twitter streams: survey, Knowledge and Information Systems, 54(3), 2018, 511 - 539
- Koesdwiady, Arief and Soua, Ridha and Karray, Fakhreddine and Kamel, Mohamed S, Recent trends in driver safety monitoring systems: State of the art and challenges, IEEE transactions on vehicular technology, 66(6), 2016, 4550 - 4563
- Koesdwiady, Arief and Bedawi, Safaa and Ou, Chaojie and Karray, Fakhri, Non-Stationary Traffic Flow Prediction Using Deep Learning, 2018 IEEE 88th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Fall), 1 2018, 1 - 5
- Akhavan, Elham and Shaaban, Mostafa and El-Saadany, Ehab and Karray, Fakhry, New EMS to incorporate smart parking lots into demand response, 2017 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, 1 2017, 1 - 1
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.