Paul Ward is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is also a faculty fellow at the IBM Centre for Advanced Studies.
Professor Ward’s expertise lies in the area of distributed systems and computer networks. In distributed computing, his work focuses on distributed-application management, and more generally on dependable and self-managing distributed systems, with a recent focus on fault detection and diagnosis in Web Services. Professor Ward’s work in networks focuses on raising the abstraction level of the network from one of packet delivery to a service-oriented network, specifically concentrating on problems of service discovery, and the problem of semantic coupling, both of functional and non-functional attributes. He has also studied problems of capacity and fairness in wireless mesh networks and routing in delay-tolerant networks.
Professor Ward co-holds two patents; ‘Brokering Web Mobile Services’ which provides a novel mobile web services discovery method that is capable of fulfilling the requirements from both the clients and providers. His second patent is a ‘Method for Solving Application Failures using Social Collaboration’ in which a computer-implemented method, system and computer usable program code for solving an application failure using social collaboration are provided.
- Distributed systems management
- Dependable distributed systems
- Autonomic computing
- Peer-to-peer computing
- Wireless mesh
- Mobile ad hoc networks
- Communication Systems
- Information Systems
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Connectivity and Internet of Things
- Application Domains
- Communications and Access
- Networking and Data
- Dependability and security
- 2002, Doctorate, PhD, University of Waterloo
- 1998, Bachelor's, BScE, University of New Brunswick
- 1993, Master's, MASc, University of Waterloo
- ECE 356 - Database Systems
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021
- ECE 654 - Software Reliability Engineering
- Taught in 2020
- ECE 656 - Database Systems
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Oyvind, Josok and Knox, Benjamin J and Helkala, Kirsi and Lugo, Ricardo G and Sutterlin, Stefan and Ward, Paul, Exploring the Hybrid Space Theoretical Framework Applying Cognitive Science in Military Cyberspace Operations, , 2016
- Hutton, R and Ward, Paul, Pros and Cons of Adaptive Expertise, , 2016
- Diekfuss, Jed A and Ward, Paul and Raisbeck, Louisa D, Attention, workload, and performance: A dual-task simulated shooting study, International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2016, 1 - 15
- Ward, Paul, Inside the Mind’s Eye of an Expert Athlete, , 2016
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.