Phone: 519-888-4567 x32029
Location: DC 2528
Wojciech Golab is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo.
His research interests include parallel and distributed data structures, scalable in-memory storage and transaction processing, relaxed and eventual consistency models, synchronization algorithms for multi-core computers, distributed computing theory and cloud computing.
ACM Computing Reviews listed one of Professor Golab's papers on shared memory algorithms among 91 others in the "notable computing items published in 2012". Professor Golab has received sponsorship from Hewlett-Packard Labs, Google, and Cisco.
- Big data analytics
- Cloud computing
- Data structures
- Distributed systems
- Energy-efficient computing
- Fault tolerance
- Internet of Things
- Persistent memory
- Relaxed consistency models
- Shared memory
- Storage systems
- Theory and complexity
- Transaction processing
- 2010, Doctorate, Computer Science, University of Toronto
- 2004, Master of Mathematics, Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- 2002, Bachelor of Science (BSc), Computer Science, University of Toronto
- ECE 356 - Database Systems
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2022
- ECE 454 - Distributed Computing
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- ECE 751 - Distributed and Network-Centric Computing
- Taught in 2020, 2021
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Sidhanta, Subhajit and Golab, Wojciech and Mukhopadhyay, Supratik, OptEx: A Deadline-Aware Cost Optimization Model for Spark, arXiv preprint arXiv:1603.07936, 2016
- Sidhanta, Subhajit and Golab, Wojciech and Mukhopadhyay, Supratik and Basu, Saikat, OptCon: An Adaptable SLA-Aware Consistency Tuning Framework for Quorum-based Stores, arXiv preprint arXiv:1603.07938, 2016
- Golab, Wojciech and Li, Xiaozhou Steve and López-Ortiz, Alejandro and Nishimura, Naomi, Computing weak consistency in polynomial time, , 2015
- Fan, Hua and Ramaraju, Aditya and McKenzie, Marlon and Golab, Wojciech and Wong, Bernard, Understanding the causes of consistency anomalies in Apache Cassandra, Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 8(7), 2015, 810 - 813
- McKenzie, Marlon and Fan, Hua and Golab, Wojciech, Continuous Partial Quorums for Consistency-Latency Tuning in Distributed NoSQL Storage Systems, arXiv preprint arXiv:1507.03162, 2015
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.