Year 3 is an enriched four-day program where senior colleagues learn from other leaders in the field. Join an experienced and enthusiastic group to discuss the latest trends, explore the future, and learn new leadership skills in a collaborative team environment.
Those who have completed the Ec.D. will qualify for the Ec.D.(F) upon completion.
This program is for senior economic developers who have achieved any one of the following benchmarks:
- completed their Certified Economic Developer designation (Ec.D.),
- completed Year 1, Year 2, and Year 2 paper
- have 10 years of experience in the profession and meet EDAC's requirement policy
Leadership and Advanced Economic Development Insights (Year 3) is an enhanced learning experience with senior colleagues
The course includes lectures, workshops, and small group projects led by experts and veterans of the field. Past sessions have included:
- Change champions: How to be an effective leader, civil servant, and collaborator
- Creativity to solve problems and implement change
- Transformational economic development: from plan to investment (the Kitchener story)
- Global ideas and knowledge trends
- Communitech hub programs and partners
- Trends in digital manufacturing
- Investment trends
- CAPSIM business simulation
- Complexity, innovation and demonstrating social impact
Participants will also prepare and deliver a 15-20 minute presentation on a current economic development topic. Each presentation will be followed by a peer discussion to maximize knowledge sharing and reveal opportunities.
A 15 page paper is required. Examples of previous papers can be found in the Economic Development Program's journal, Papers in Canadian Economic Development.
|EDAC Members in good standing*||Non-EDAC Members|
|Early Bird||$1750 + HST||$2250 + HST|
|Afterward||$1950 + HST||$2450 + HST|
*EDAC member discount is for those who have paid their annual membership fee. Should your EDAC membership not be paid in full by the date of course/seminar registration, you will be responsible for paying the full (non-member) registration fee
Check the courses and seminars page to see when the next Year 3 course is offered. The course page will have more specific information about the schedule, venue, and speakers.
It is usually held in Kitchener-Waterloo every two years. When demand permits, it may be held more often.
Year 3 is the most advanced professional training course we offer.
However, the University of Waterloo does offer a Master of Economic Development and Innovation that can be completed part time or full time.