Our lab group investigates fairness (justice) in the workplace. What makes people feel that their workplace is unfair, and how can workplaces be more fair? What makes some people better able to cope with unfairness? How can we rebuild relationships following conflict? Why are some leaders fairer than others?
We conduct both in-lab and field studies to examine questions such as these. We adopt a social-cognitive psychological approach to our research, investigating both situational and individual factors that interact to affect fairness-related processes in the workplace. Overall, our lab’s research aims to better understand how and why fairness affects people, with the ultimate goal of helping to create more effective and functional workplaces.
- Amy Barron and Muriel Tang presented their research at the 83rd Annual National Convention of Canadian Psychological Association in June 2022.
- Midori Nishioka will present her research at 82nd Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management in August 2022
- Amy Barron was awarded the Outstanding TA Award from the Council of Canadian Departments of Psychology (CCDP) and a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. Amy also won CSIOP’s RHR Kendall award. Congratulations, Amy!
- Taylor Carroll received the CPA Student Section Research Grant, the Pat Rowe Graduate Scholarship, and the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS). Congratulations, Taylor!
- Midori Nishioka and co-authors published an article on shortcut behaviors at work in the Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Ramona and colleagues from Europe published an article on reducing cynicism through fairness in the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- Ramona also received the 2022 University of Waterloo Faculty of Arts Award for Excellence in Teaching and was awarded a multi-year SSHRC Insight Grant.
The lab will be very busy this summer sharing our research at several virtual conferences:
- Amy Barron will present her research on gender bias in how managers explain bad news in a student symposium at the annual meeting of Canadian Psychological Association (June, 2021)
Igor Mitrovic will present his research on perceptions of discrimination in a poster session at the meeting of the CPA (June, 2021)