Dr. Saeid Pirasteh, Professor, Ph.D., IEEE Senior Member, T-PGO, UN-GGIM Academic Network Expert and Advisory Board Member, ISPRS ICWG IVa Chair, GeoIME Founder and Inventor
Dr. Saeid Pirasteh is a Visiting Professor with the Geospatial Intelligence and Mapping (GIM) Lab at the University of Waterloo. He is now a full Professor and Associate Dean of the Institute of Artificial Intelligence at Shaoxing University, Shaoxing, Zhejing, China. He was an Associate Professor at the Department of Surveying and Geonformatics, College of Geosciences and Environmental Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China, during 2019-2022.
He joined the University of Waterloo, Canada as a visiting scholar in December 2011 and started to pursue his second Ph.D. degree in Geography in September 2013 and received his PhD degree in remote sensing in 2018. Prior to joining the University of Waterloo in 2011, Dr. Pirasteh was an instructor at Chamran University (2000-2002). He joined Azad University Dezful Branch, Iran, in 2002. He was also a visiting faculty of Khorramshahr Marine Technology University, Khorramshahr, Iran, from 2002-2004. He was an adjunct and fellow at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand (2005-2007). Later, he became a representative of the AIT in the Middle East till 2008. He was a Senior Researcher and Senior Lecturer in the Institute of Advanced Technology (ITMA) at the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Malaysia (2008-2011). He has supervised and co-supervised many undergraduate students and nearly 100 master/Ph.D. students, postdoc fellows and visiting scholars from various countries.
Dr. Pirasteh is a member of the Canadian Institute of Geomatics and Canadian Remote Sensing Society, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society, the ICA Commission on Sensor-driven Mapping (2019-2023), the UN-GGIM Academic Network (2017-present), UN Open GIS (2020-present), and UN-GGIM Disaster Services WG (2017-present). He is Chair of the ISPRS ICWG III/IVa on Disaster Management (2022-2026). He is also the Editorial Board member of the International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation.
Dr. Pirasteh invented the Geospatial Infrastructure Management Ecosystem (GeoIME) (www.geoime.ca/https://app.georvs.ca/#/). He is the recipient of several awards. He has been working very hard internationally to develop geoinformation solutions and connecting people in the field of natural hazards as well as Earth and environmental sustainability to save the earth with informed solutions. He has been collaborating and consulting in the industry for over 20 years. He developed more than $4 million grants and projects to connect academics and industry in an applicable form. He is able to communicate in four languages.
Dr. Pirasteh is the author/co-author of more than 150 publications in refereed journals, conference proceedings, and book chapters, including in several prestigious journals such as IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, International Journal of Remote Sensing, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, Transactions in GIS, Geocarto International, and Remote Sensing. His publications have received over 4200 Google Scholar citations.
Teaching and Research Interests
He has taught a number of core courses in geomatics and geography programs, including remote sensing, GIS, spatial analysis, photogrammetry and remote sensing, computer vision, geospatial data science, geospatial artificial intelligence, multivariate statistics, machine learning in geoinformatics, surveying, cartography and geovisuzalization, and applications beyond like natural hazards, disaster risk reduction and management, geological mapping.
His current research interests are multi-disciplinarily in GeoAI, geospatial big data analytics, LiDAR mapping, remote sensing and GIS, digital image processing, as well as the applied earth observation and geoinformation in geology, hydrology, natural hazards, environmental and disaster management.
- Ph.D., Geography – Geoanalytics and LiDAR, University of Waterloo, 2018
- Ph.D., Geology - Remote Sensing and GIS, Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh, India, 2004
- M.Sc., Applied Geology - Remote Sensing, Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh, India, 2000
- B.Sc., Geology, Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh, India, 1998
- Mousavi V., Varshosaz M., Remondino F., *Pirasteh S., Li J. 2022. A hierarchical descriptor-based keypoint filtering algorithm for robust image matching. IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, doi: 10.1109/TGRS.2022.3188931. [IF= 8.125]
- Wu H., Zhu Q., Guo Y., Zheng W., Zhang L., Wang Q., Zho R., Ding Y., Wang W., *Pirasteh S., Liu M. 2022. Multi-level voxel representations for digital twin models of tunnel geological environment. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 112: 102887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2022.102887. [IF=7.672]
- Gheisari M., Abbasi A.A., *Pirasteh S. 2022. An efficient cluster head selection for wireless sensor network-based smart agriculture systems. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 198: 107105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2022.107105. [IF=6.757]
- Mao W., Liu G., Wang X., Yakun X., He X., Zhang B., Xiang W., Wu S., Zhang R., Fu Y., *Pirasteh S. 2022. Using range split-spectrum interferometry to overcome phase unwrapping errors for InSAR-derived DEM. Remote Sensing. 14(11), 2607. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs14112607. [IF=5.34]
- Chen L., Ding Y., *Pirasteh S., Hu H., Zhu Q., Ge X., Zeng H., Yu H., Shang Q., Song Y. 2022. Meta-learning an intermediate representation for few-shot block-wise prediction of landslide susceptibility, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation an Geoinformation. 110:102807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2022.102807. [IF=7.672]
- Pourkhosravani M., Mehrabi A., *Pirasteh S., Derakhshani R. 2022. Monitoring of Maskun landslide and determining its quantitative relationship to different climatic conditions using D-InSAR and PSI techniques. Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk. 13:1,1134-1153, DOI: 10.1080/19475705.2022.2065939 [IF=3.33]
- Chen K., Liu G., Xiang W., Chen R., Sun T., Qian K., *Pirasteh S., Chen X. 2022. Assimilation of SBAS-InSAR vertical displacement into land surface model to improve the estimation of terrestrial water storage, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. 15: 2826-2835. DOI: 10.1109/JSTARS.2022.3162228. [IF=4.175]
- Li W., Zhu J., *Pirasteh S., Zhu Q., Fu L., Wu J. 2022. Investigations of disaster information representation from geospatial perspective: Progress, challenges, and recommendations. Transaction in GIS. DOI: 10.1111/tgis.12922, 00:1–23. [IF=2.568]
- Badrloo S., Varshosaz M., *Pirasteh S., Li J. 2022. A novel region-based expansion rate obstacle detection method for MAVs using a fisheye camera. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 108:102739. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2022.102739. [IF=7.672]
- Li H., Ye W., Li H., Ye W., Liu J., *Pirasteh S., Fatholahi SN., Li J. 2021. High-resolution terrain modeling using airborne LiDAR data with transfer learning, Remote Sensing. 13, 3448. doi.org/10.3390/rs13173448. [IF=5.34]
- Xiang, W., Liu, G., Zhang, R., *Pirasteh S., Wang, X., Mao, W., Li, S., Xie, L. 2021. Modelling saline mudflat and aquifer deformation synthesizing environmental and hydrogeological factors using time-series InSAR, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. 10.1109/JSTARS.2021.3123514. [IF=4.175]
- Mafi-Gholami D., *Pirasteh S., Ellison J.C., Jaafarid A. 2021. Fuzzy-based vulnerability assessment of coupled social-ecological systems to multiple environmental hazards, Journal of Environmental Management. 299 (2021) 113573. doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2021.113573. [IF=8.910]
- *Pirasteh S., Zenner E.K., Mafi-Gholami D., Jaafarid A., Nouri Kamarie A., Liu G., Zhu Q., Li J. 2021. Remote sensing of multi-decadal spatial extents and biomass changes of mangroves in response to climate change and anthropogenic impacts, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. Vol. 102, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2021.102390. [IF=7.672]
- Gholami V., Khaleghi M.R., *Pirasteh S., Booij M.J. 2021. Comparison of self-organizing map, artificial neural network, and co-active neuro-fuzzy inference system methods in simulating groundwater quality: Geospatial artificial intelligence, Water Resources Management, DOI: 10.1007/s11269-021-02969-2. [IF=4.426]
- Mao W., Wang X., Liu G., Zhang R., Shi Y., *Pirasteh S. 2021. Estimation and compensation of ionospheric phase delay for multi-aperture InSAR: an azimuth split-spectrum interferometry method, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2021.3095272. [IF=8.125]
Shi X., Dai K., Deng, Ali Yunus P., Liu G., Zhang B., *Pirasteh S., Zhong D., Xiang J., He Y., Liang R. 2021. Spatio-temporal evolutionary characteristics of Gongga Mountain glaciers and their response to climate. Advances in Space Research. 68: 1706–1718, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2021.04.013. [IF=2.611]