- Program details posted on official Banting website.
April – June 1, 2023:
- Interested applicants wishing to apply through the University of Waterloo must follow Steps 1-3 on Waterloo’s Banting web page.
- Confirm eligibility
- Complete the Banting Fellowship Letter of Intent (LOI) form
- Receive endorsement to apply from Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA)
June 1, 2023:
- Recommended deadline by which proposed host supervisors submit Banting endorsement form to confirm support of applicant.
June 1 – June 28, 2023:
- Prospective applicants who have received confirmation from Heidi Mussar to proceed with continuing the application process, follow Steps 4-8 in the Critical Steps as outlined on Waterloo’s Banting web page.
- Create a ResearchNet and a Canadian Common CV account
- Select and contact referees
- Fulfillment of degree requirements form
- Refer to the application guide
- Submit pdf copy of completed application to GSPA
June 28, 2023 @ 12:00 p.m. EDT*:
- Firm deadline by which applicants are required to e-mail a pdf of their application materials to Heidi Mussar in GSPA.
- Firm deadline by which electronic letters of assessments from referees must be submitted to Heidi Mussar in GSPA (refer to Step 5 of the critical steps on Waterloo’s Banting web page).
- Firm deadline by which proposed supervisor must provide a preliminary “supervisor’s statement” to Heidi Mussar in GSPA.
*Under no circumstances will late applications after Waterloo's deadline of June 28 be considered.
July 12, 2023:
- GSPA makes applications available for review by institutional selection committee.
July 26, 2023:
- Institutional selection committee members provide ratings for each of their assigned applications to GSPA.
July 26 – Aug 2, 2023:
- Chair of institutional selection committee assesses ratings of applications.
August 2, 2023:
- Institutional selection committee meeting to finalize shortlist of candidates, focusing on strength of research proposal, synergy between candidate and host supervisor and alignment with institutional strategic priorities.
August 3 – 23, 2023:
- Decisions relayed to candidates not proceeding in competitions.
- Feedback provided to shortlisted candidates.
- Shortlisted candidates and proposed host supervisors revise application material and re-submit to GSPA by August 23, 2023.
August 23, 2023:
- Deadline for revised applications to be re-submitted to GSPA by shortlisted candidates.
August 30, 2023:
- Re-submitted applications made available to institutional selection committee for final decisions.
September 6, 2023:
- Institutional selection committee meeting to finalize endorsed candidates.
September 6 - 19, 2023:
- GSPA and Faculty Associate Deans communicate with endorsed applicants and supervisors to fine-tune applications and institutional letters.
- GSPA provides applicants with institutional Letter of Endorsement and finalized Supervisor’s Statement for them to upload to their application.
- GSPA sends communication to non-recommended applicants and proposed supervisors.
September 20, 2023 @ 8:00 p.m. EDT:
- Deadline by which all endorsed applicants are required to submit completed Banting application electronically via ResearchNet
October - December 2023:
- Banting PDF selection board evaluates applications
- Anticipated announcement of results by agencies
Questions about any stage of this process can be sent to Heidi Mussar, in Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.
April 20, 2023