Sexual assault on campus
Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012
On Monday, September 17, between 10 and 10:30 p.m., a female student was sexually assaulted by two males while walking through the west cul de sac between Village 1 and Mackenzie King Village.
Police provided the following descriptions of the suspects, who fled after the assault:
- Suspect 1: male, white, 19 years old, 5’6”, with a heavy build, wearing a red hat
- Suspect 2: male, non-white, 19 years old, 6’, black hair, slender build.
The ongoing investigation is being led by Waterloo Regional Police, supported by University of Waterloo Police. We will update the campus community as more information becomes available. Anyone with information is asked to contact Waterloo Regional Police at 519-650-8500 ext. 3310, University of Waterloo Police at 519-888-4567 ext. 22222, or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.
The safety of our students and all members of our campus community is of paramount concern at the University of Waterloo. As a result of this incident, campus police have increased patrols in the area of the student residences. Students, faculty, staff and other members of our community are encouraged to be alert to danger and report any suspicious activity to campus police.
- Follow a major road at night, or a well-lit path
- Walk at a steady pace and with confidence near the curb
- Avoid dark entrances and shrubs
- Do not walk home alone at night — make arrangements with a friend to meet and walk home together, call for a ride, or use one of the resources offered by the university.
Further information about campus safety resources, including our shuttle service, can be found online at https://uwaterloo.ca/police/safety-resources. The shuttle service is available from the first day of registration to the last day of exams. It leaves regularly from the Student Life Centre at about 7:00 p.m. in the winter, at 9:00 p.m. in the summer and runs until 2:00 a.m. Women have first priority for rides. Emergency intercoms, with flashing blue lights, are located throughout the campus.