Message from the Provost

The University of Waterloo is committed to fostering a supportive and safe climate for all students, faculty and staff. Currently, there is a great deal of focus on the issue of sexual violence in Canada and, in particular, how universities respond to cases of sexual assault.

This University continually strives to raise awareness about sexual violence and develop wide-ranging practices to prevent sexual violence on our campus and, critically, provide support to the individuals who experience sexual assault.

We conduct regular safety audits to identify and address any concerns. We recently appointed our first director of equity, as well as a special advisor to the president on women's and gender issues. These individuals are working together with our campus to improve the ways we promote a safe and respectful community.

Most importantly, we encourage community members to seek assistance if they are sexually assaulted. Information about support and resources for individuals who have experienced sexual assault is available below.

Ian Orchard
Vice-President, Academic and Provost
November, 2014

Sexual assault - definition

Sexual assault is any unwanted act of a sexual nature (i.e. kissing, touching, oral or anal sex, intercourse or other forms of penetration) that is imposed on another person.

What to do if you have been sexually assaulted

  • Remember it is not your fault! Go to a safe place. Call someone you trust for support.
  • Get medical attention as soon as possible. A medical examination is important to detect injury and for possible protection against sexually transmitted disease or pregnancy. The Waterloo Region Sexual Assault Treatment Centre is located at St. Mary's Hospital. They have resources to assist you.
  • Seriously consider reporting the assault to campus Special Constable Service or local police. Telling the police does not mean that charges will be laid or that you must later go to trial.

Individuals who experience sexual violence will be treated with dignity and respect:

  • to be informed of on- and off-campus services and resources
  • to decide whether or not to access available services and to choose those services they feel will be most beneficial,
  • to decide whether to report to campus or local police
  • to have an on-campus investigation with the institution’s full co-operation
  • to have a safety plan
  • to have reasonable and necessary actions taken to prevent further unwanted contact with the alleged perpetrator(s).

Resources to support you

The following resources are available to support survivors of sexual violence.

University of Waterloo  - Sexual Violence Response Team

  • Amanda Cook, Director, Sexual Violence Prevention and Response
  • Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 46869

University of Waterloo Health Services

Phone: 519-888-4096

Health Services provides primary medical care for all registered University of Waterloo students. Our health professionals work to promote a safe, healthy environment for our students.

University of Waterloo Counselling Services

Phone: 519-888-4567 Extension 32655

Counselling Services is a team of professionals dedicated to supporting the personal and interpersonal functioning of our diverse university community. They offer individual and group counselling,

  • to facilitate personal and social growth
  • to assist with life difficulties
  • to intervene in times of crisis

Waterloo Region Sexual Assault Treatment Centre

Phone: 519-749-6994

St. Mary's Hospital

Phone: 519-744-4311

Cambridge Memorial Hospital

Phone: 519-621-2330

The Waterloo Region Sexual Assault Treatment Centre is located at St Mary's Hospital. They have all the resources to assist individuals who experience sexual assault and can collect evidence in the event that you wish to press criminal charges now or in the future.

Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region 

24 Hour Support Line: 519-741-8633
Office Phone:  519-571-0121

Services include 24 Hour Support Line, Individual & Group Counselling (Free & Confidential), Accompaniment to Hospital, Police, or Court.

University of Waterloo Special Constable Service

Phone: Extension 22222 or 519-888-4911

When campus Special Constable Service receives a complaint of sexual assault, the matter is referred to the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) (major case/sex crimes unit). Campus Special Constable Service ensures appropriate services are provided to individuals such as counselling, accommodation change, and schedule change to ensure the individual is adequately supported.

Waterloo Regional Police Service

Phone: 911 or 519-653-7700

Shore Centre

Phone: 519-743-9360

Please remember

If you have experienced sexual assault, you are not alone and it is not your fault. This University and the broader community have resources available to help you during this difficult time.