Carl A. Pollock Hall (CPH) 2382A
Phone: 519-888-4567 Ext. 35317
Teaching and supervision
Office hours: By appointment (email)
ECE = Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 124: Digital Circuits and Systems
- ECE 224: Embedded Microprocessor Systems
- ECE 462: Electrical Distribution Systems
- Mechatronics Engineering (MTE) 320: Actuators & Power Electronics
- Mechanical Engineering (ME) 269: Electromechanical Devices and Power Processing
Graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and visitors
- Haytham Abd Elrahman, Research topic: Integration of ES for Improving Power Quality of Smart Distribution Systems. (October 2017-Now)
- Mahmoud Othman, Research topic: Operation-time DG Connection Impact Assessment. (January 2017-Now)
- Participated in the supervision of Hani Aldhubaib (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: Reliability Analysis of Power Systems Considering the Effect of Weather Variations, to be defended December 2017.
- Co-Supervisor of Haytham Ibrahim (Masters Student at University of Waterloo), has finished November 2017. Thesis title: “Impact of Demand Response and Battery Energy Storage System on Electricity Markets.”
- Participated in the supervision of Ameena Saad Al-Sumaiti (PhD student at University of Waterloo), has finished August 2015. Thesis title: “Power Generation Shortage in Developing Countries: Restrictions, Challenges and Proposed Solutions.”
- Participated in the supervision of Abdulaziz Almutairi (Master student at University of Waterloo), has finished May 2014. Thesis title “Evaluating Wind Power Generating Capacity Adequacy Using MCMC Time Series Model.”
- Participated in the supervision of Nazila Rajaei (PhD student at University of Waterloo), has finished April 2015. Thesis title: “Fault Current Management in Power Systems using Inverter-Based Distributed Generators.”
Masters/other research graduate degrees
- Co-Supervisor of Engy Adel (Masters Student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started January 2018.
- Co-Supervisor of Sherin Helal (Masters Student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started September 2017.
Current PhD Students
- Co-Supervisor of Mohamed Hamouda (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started May 2017.
- Co-Supervisor of Ahmed Mustafa (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started January 2017.
- Co-Supervisor of Nitin Padman (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: Energy Storage and Demand Response as New Entrants in Electricity Markets: Frameworks and Models, started September 2014.
- Co-Supervisor of Ayman Elkasrawy (PhD student at Ryerson University), Topic: An overall framework for Demand Response Implementation by System Operators, started January 2014.
- Renewable energy analysis
- Solar and Wind Energy Sources
- Renewable energy penetration analysis
- Storage system design and analysis
- Distribution system analysis
- Distribution system planning, Load forecasting, and Substation engineering
- Distribution system performance analysis
- Reactive power control
- Distribution system protection and reliability
- Smart grid analysis
- Load management advisory service for smart meters
- Automatic fault detection and system restoration in smart systems
- Decision assistive models for distribution systems asset management
- Impact of distributed generation on smart grid operation and protection
- Power system asset management and risk analysis
- Transformer techno-economic replacement and end of life analysis
- Transformer outage probability distribution analysis
- Transmission lines decision support system (DSS) for the analysis and prioritization of asset sustainment investment
- Power quality analysis
- Power quality performance benchmarking
- Power quality detection and identification
- Power quality monitoring device locations in the distribution system