Adjunct Assistant Professor, PhD, Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (MIEEE), Professional Engineer in Ontario (PEng), Certificate in University Teaching (CUT)
Carl A. Pollock Hall (CPH) 2382A
Phone: 519-888-4567 Ext. 35317
Teaching and supervision
Office hours: By appointment (email)
ECE = Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 124: Digital Circuits and Systems
- ECE 224: Embedded Microprocessor Systems
- ECE 462: Electrical Distribution Systems
- Mechatronics Engineering (MTE) 320: Actuators & Power Electronics
- Mechanical Engineering (ME) 269: Electromechanical Devices and Power Processing
Graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and visitors
- Haytham Abd Elrahman, Research topic: Integration of ES for Improving Power Quality of Smart Distribution Systems. (October 2017-Now)
- Mahmoud Othman, Research topic: Operation-time DG Connection Impact Assessment. (January 2017-Now)
- Participated in the supervision of Hani Aldhubaib (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: Reliability Analysis of Power Systems Considering the Effect of Weather Variations, to be defended December 2017.
- Co-Supervisor of Haytham Ibrahim (Masters Student at University of Waterloo), has finished November 2017. Thesis title: “Impact of Demand Response and Battery Energy Storage System on Electricity Markets.”
- Participated in the supervision of Ameena Saad Al-Sumaiti (PhD student at University of Waterloo), has finished August 2015. Thesis title: “Power Generation Shortage in Developing Countries: Restrictions, Challenges and Proposed Solutions.”
- Participated in the supervision of Abdulaziz Almutairi (Master student at University of Waterloo), has finished May 2014. Thesis title “Evaluating Wind Power Generating Capacity Adequacy Using MCMC Time Series Model.”
- Participated in the supervision of Nazila Rajaei (PhD student at University of Waterloo), has finished April 2015. Thesis title: “Fault Current Management in Power Systems using Inverter-Based Distributed Generators.”
Masters/other research graduate degrees
- Co-Supervisor of Engy Adel (Masters Student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started January 2018.
- Co-Supervisor of Sherin Helal (Masters Student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started September 2017.
Current PhD Students
- Co-Supervisor of Mohamed Hamouda (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started May 2017.
- Co-Supervisor of Ahmed Mustafa (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: TBD, started January 2017.
- Co-Supervisor of Nitin Padman (PhD student at University of Waterloo), Topic: Energy Storage and Demand Response as New Entrants in Electricity Markets: Frameworks and Models, started September 2014.
- Co-Supervisor of Ayman Elkasrawy (PhD student at Ryerson University), Topic: An overall framework for Demand Response Implementation by System Operators, started January 2014.
- Renewable energy analysis
- Solar and Wind Energy Sources
- Renewable energy penetration analysis
- Storage system design and analysis
- Distribution system analysis
- Distribution system planning, Load forecasting, and Substation engineering
- Distribution system performance analysis
- Reactive power control
- Distribution system protection and reliability
- Smart grid analysis
- Load management advisory service for smart meters
- Automatic fault detection and system restoration in smart systems
- Decision assistive models for distribution systems asset management
- Impact of distributed generation on smart grid operation and protection
- Power system asset management and risk analysis
- Transformer techno-economic replacement and end of life analysis
- Transformer outage probability distribution analysis
- Transmission lines decision support system (DSS) for the analysis and prioritization of asset sustainment investment
- Power quality analysis
- Power quality performance benchmarking
- Power quality detection and identification
- Power quality monitoring device locations in the distribution system
University of Waterloo