The University of Waterloo owes much of its international reputation and stature to the quality of its eminent professors. University of Waterloo recognizes exceptional scholarly achievement and international pre-eminence through the designation “University Professor”. Once appointed, a faculty member retains the designation until retirement.
Not counting retirees, it is anticipated there will be one University Professor for approximately every 60 full-time regular faculty members, with at most two appointments each year. Such appointments are reported to Senate and the Board of Governors in March and April respectively, and are recognized at Convocation.
- Annually, nominations will be sought from Faculty deans, directors of schools and department chairs, as well as from the university community generally. A nominee shall have demonstrated exceptional scholarly achievement and international pre-eminence in a particular field or fields of knowledge. The individual who nominates a colleague is responsible for gathering the documentation and submitting it to the vice-president academic & provost before the December break. The University Tenure & Promotion Committee will act as the selection committee; its decisions are final.
- A nomination must be supported by at least six signatures from at least two UW departments/schools and must be accompanied by a curriculum vitae and a short, non-technical description of the nominee’s contributions.
- A nomination must also be accompanied by letters from the nominee’s Dean, and from at least two and no more than five scholars of international standing in the nominee’s field from outside the University. The scholars are to be chosen by the nominee’s Chair/Director in consultation with the Dean and the nominator. The letter of nomination should explain why these particular scholars were chosen.
- Letters soliciting comments from scholars shall be sent by the Chair/Director. Scholars shall be asked to comment on the impact and specific nature of the nominee’s most influential contributions, addressing their responses directly to the Vice-President, Academic & Provost.
- The dossiers of unsuccessful nominees remain in the pool for two additional years. The appropriate Dean should provide updated information each year.
University Professors at the University of Waterloo
|Coleman, William||Political Science||2015|
|Cook, William||Combinatorics & Optimization||2015|
|Davidson, Ken||Pure Mathematics||2007|
|Hipel, Keith||Systems Design Engineering||2007|
|LeDrew, Ellsworth||Geography & Environmental Management||2009|
|Li, Ming||School of Computer Science||2009|
|Munro, Ian||School of Computer Science||2006|
|Ng, Flora||Chemical Engineering||2008|
|Rempel, Garry||Chemical Engineering||2004|
|Shen, Sherman||Electrical & Computer Engineering||2017|
|Stewart, Cameron||Pure Mathematics||2005|
|Stinson, Doug||School of Computer Science||2013|
|Van Pelt, Robert||School of Architecture||2005|
Recognizing University Professors Who Have Retired
|Boyle, Phelim||School of Accounting & Finance||2006|
|Cameron, Roy||School of Public Health & Health Systems||2008|
|Le Roy, Robert||Chemistry||2011|
|Sivak, Jake||School of Optometry||2007|
|Thompson, Mary||Statistics & Actuarial Science||2004|