Giang Tran is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Waterloo. Previously, she was a Bing Instructor at the University of Texas at Austin from 2015 to 2017. She received a Ph.D. in Mathematics from the University of California, Los Angeles, under the supervision of Stanley Osher; an M.S. in Mathematics from the University of Strasbourg, France, under the supervision of Christian Kassel; and a B.S. from Hanoi National University of Education, Vietnam. Her research interests are sparse modeling and optimization methods, compressed sensing, image processing, and data science.
Grants and Awards
- NSERC Discovery Grant, 2018 - 2023
- R.H. Bing Fellowship, UT Austin, 2015 - 2017
- SIAM Student Paper Prize, 2015
- Beckenbach Dissertation Year Fellowship, 2014 - 2015
- Vietnam Education Foundation Fellowship, 2009 - 2014
- May 2019: I will be co-organizing a mini-symposium at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems (DS 19) with Yannis Pantazis and Hayden Schaeffer.
- February 2019: I will be co-organizing a mini-symposium at the SIAM CSE 2019 conference with Rachel Ward and Hayden Schaeffer.
- January 2019: I will be teaching M235, Linear Algebra II, from January to April 2019.
- December 2018: I will be attending the special session "Sparse Recovery, Learning, and Neural Networks" at the 2018 CMS Winter Meeting, Vancouver.
- November 2018: Available fundings for USRA and URI Winter 2019. Please contact me for more details.
- July 2018: The project "Variational Methods and Deep Learning Framework for Image Style Transfer" has been approved by the 2019 Mitacs Globalink Research Internship program. Eligible undergraduates are encouraged to apply!
- May 2018: New preprint about extracting structured dynamical systems using sparse optimization with very few samples has been uploaded on arXiv. The codes are available at Github.
- May 2018: Welcome to Martin Pham, an NSERC USRA Undergraduate Research student for Spring 2018! He will work on ResNet-based frameworks for style transfer.
- April 2018: I will be attending the workshop Numerical Analysis and Approximation Theory meet Data Science at BIRS Alberta, Canada.
- March 2018: I will be attending the 7th International Conference on High Performance Computing at VIASM, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- January 2018: I will be teaching M136 and M235, Linear Algebra I & II, from January to April 2018.