International student resources

International Student Resources

Adapting to life in Canada and UWaterloo

Immigration consulting

Advisor helping a student.Ask an immigration consultant questions about your Canadian immigration status or for information about government resources. The consultants are happy to assist you during your time at the UWaterloo, and all consultations are free and confidential.

Immigration documents

student being advised. Whether you are applying for documents for the first time or renewing, we have information pertaining to study and work permits, temporary resident visas, Electronic Travel Authorizations, and United States visitor visas. We also cover immigration rules you must follow and information on what to do if your documents are lost, stolen, damaged or need to be amended. 

New student resources on Waterloo Ready

Resources for new studentsAs you prepare to study from home, or travel to Canada, Waterloo Ready can help your transition go as smooth as possible with resources like the International Student Guide and live chats. 

COVID-19 resources

COVID-19 resources.Get the information you need to know about travelling and quarantining, including a step-by-step checklist and information about the Waterloo Student Quarantine Package.


News and events

Student reading the news.Keep up to date with news and events specifically for you. For example, did you know that IRCC has begun emailing international students directly? Learn more

International Peer Community

international peer community. Join the International Peer Community to meet new people, build your network and learn about Canadian culture. The community can offer you support and guidance to help you through your first or second term.

International Student Online Discussions

Girl listening to International Student Online Discussion.The online discussions are a chance for international students to connect to campus and learn the supports offered during COVID-19. At each discussion, you'll have a chance to ask questions to the panelists. 


Students making a snowman. If you are an international student staying in Waterloo this upcoming holiday season, get festive with the UWinterloo program. You'll be able to connect with other students who are staying in town and learn about local festivities.  

English language and academic supports

English conversation circles. Access programs and resources to help you improve your English language skills and achieve your academic goals. 

Social Insurance Number

Apply for a SIN.All individuals need a SIN from Service Canada to work in Canada. Find out how to apply. 

Filing your taxes in Canada

Student filing their taxes. Learn what services are available to you on and off campus to help you file your taxes. 

Health insurance

Student accessing healthcare.As a registered international student (Visa student on Quest), you are automatically enrolled in University Health Insurance Plan and the Feds/GSA supplementary health and dental plan. 

Documents for your family

Family picture.Learn how you can invite your family to visit or attend convocation. There is also information about the open work permit for spouses of international students.