International student resources

Adapting to life in Canada and UWaterloo

Immigration consulting

Advisor helping a student.Ask an immigration consultant for assistance with your Canadian immigration status, medical coverage or information about government resources. The consultants are happy to assist you during your time at the UWaterloo, and all consultations are free and confidential.

Immigration documents

student being advised. Whether you are applying for documents for the first time or renewing, we have information pertaining to study and work permits, temporary resident visas, Electronic Travel Authorizations, and United States visitor visas. We also cover immigration rules you must follow and information on what to do if your documents are lost, stolen, damaged or need to be amended. 

Social Insurance Number

Apply for a SIN.All individuals need a SIN from Service Canada to work in Canada. Find out how to apply. 

Filing your taxes in Canada

Student filing their taxes. Learn what services are available to you on and off campus to help you file your taxes before April 30.

International Peer Community

international peer community. Join the International Peer Community to meet new people, build your network and learn about Canadian culture. The community can offer you support and guidance to help you through your first or second term.

International Student Breakfast Seminars

International Student Breakfast SeminarAt the Breakfast Seminars, you can gather in a leisurely, friendly setting to learn more about campus services and resources and meet other international students.

English language and academic supports

English conversation circles. Access programs and resources to help you improve your English language skills and achieve your academic goals. 


Students making a snowman. If you are an international student staying in Waterloo this upcoming holiday season, get festive with the UWinterloo program. You'll be able to connect with other students who are staying in town and learn about local festivities.  

Health insurance

Student accessing healthcare.As a registered international student (Visa student on Quest), you are automatically enrolled in University Health Insurance Plan and the Feds/GSA supplementary health and dental plan. 

Documents for your family

Family picture.Learn how you can invite your family to visit or attend convocation. There is also information about the open work permit for spouses of international students. 

Airport pick-up service

Airport pick-up serviceIn the fall and winter, we provide a free airport pick-up service for new international students from Toronto Pearson International Airport to UWaterloo. Find out how to register for the service, or volunteer to welcome new students to campus.