U.S. Gifts

Gifts from the US

Waterloo alumni and friends who live in the U.S. and abroad can support Waterloo while taking advantage of charitable tax deductions.

Residents of the US

Residents of the U.S.

Under the Canada-United States Income Tax Convention, a resident of the United States is entitled to a charitable deduction for gifts to a Canadian university, provided he or she or a family member is or was enrolled at the university. A family member is defined as a spouse, child, grandchild, parent, or sibling.

A Canadian tax receipt will be issued, which can be used for U.S. income tax benefits. The University of Waterloo’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 980061413.

Note: The University of Waterloo has the status of a 501 (c) (3) organization according to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. As such, contributions to the University by U.S. citizens (alumni or parents of Waterloo students) are deductible by U.S. taxpayers in the same manner and amounts as if those contributions were made to domestic U.S. charitable organizations.

Gifts through a US Organization

Gifting through a U.S. organization

If you do not fall into one of the previous categories, or if you make your gift to Waterloo through a U.S. organization, you can still receive tax advantages through:

Friends of University of Waterloo Foundation
3815 N. Dickerson Street
Arlington, Virginia 22207-2968

The Friends of University of Waterloo Foundation Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 54-1746974.

The Foundation will direct your funds to the Waterloo project of your choice, and will provide you with a U.S. tax receipt.

American Corporations may offer matching gifts for gifts made by their employees to a U.S. Foundation.

Questions? We can help

For more information, contact Sean Thomas