Welcome to the WCC!
The Writing and Communication Centre is an academic support unit that supports students, staff, and faculty as they build communication excellence at the University of Waterloo. Our work is guided by the principles laid out in our mandate, vision, and mission statements.
Our mandate is to:
- Support the continuous learning and development of students, staff, and faculty in academic and professional writing, speaking, and visual presentation.
- To facilitate the production and publication of written scholarship.
- To ground our teaching practice in research on writing, rhetoric, composition, and language acquisition.
- And to contribute to the broad fields of writing studies and teaching/learning scholarship.
As a hub of research and expertise, the Writing and Communication Centre will foster excellence in written, spoken, and visual communication within the University of Waterloo community.
The Writing and Communication Centre engages, encourages, and empowers members of the University of Waterloo community to better articulate ideas while meeting the varied expectations of their disciplines and vocations.
To achieve our mission, we deliver timely and focused individualized teaching at all stages of the composition process. We help students, staff, and faculty:
- Synthesize, integrate, and share best practices in communication
- Experience their work as others do
- Support and promote a lively, cross-disciplinary writing culture on campus and online
- Develop skills and strategies that last a lifetime