Enhancing the Arts undergraduate experience
We invite you to apply for funding to enhance the Arts Undergraduate Experience through initiatives like trips, conferences, society activities, space upgrades, orientation tools, and hosting competitions, just to name a few!
Winter 2019 deadline
The deadline for proposal submissions for the Fall 2018 term is Friday, February 8, 2019, 11:59 p.m. The Arts Endowment Fund accepts proposals once per term.
All undergraduate students in the faculty of Arts at University of Waterloo are eligible for funding through the AEF, with the exception of students in the School of Accounting and Finance (which has its own fund — the Accounting and Finance Endowment Fund).
How to apply for funding
- Read the website carefully, especially the Guidelines for Funding. Many a proposal has been declined simply because it didn’t follow the guidelines.
- Review Proposal Samples (.zip, 7 MB) for inspiration and guidance.
- When putting together your proposal, answer the ‘Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How Much?’ questions.
- Ask for a specific amount of money. The committee often approves partial funding, so don’t be afraid to ask for what you need.
- Be sure to support your ask with a detailed budget, and documentation to support how you arrived at costs (quotes, screen prints of websites, etc.)
- Funding requests for furniture or space upgrades require prior consultation. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting your proposal.
- Explain the impact on Arts Undergraduate Students:
- How many students will your initiative affect?
- How will it affect them?
- Submit a bit before the deadline, meaning not at the last minute. Take the time to prepare a solid proposal but be sure to allow time for us to ask questions and gather additional documentation if required.
What happens to your proposal
Proposals are screened to ensure they adhere to the funding guidelines. The fund administrator may contact you to ask questions or seek clarification on your proposal.
The AEF committee meets the week following the submission deadline to assess and vote on proposals. Their main criteria for judging proposals is the impact of the initiative on Arts Faculty Undergraduate students.
You will receive a letter from us letting you know if your proposal has been approved. The letter will contain instructions on how to contact us for your funding.