Otman Basir is a Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department at the University of Waterloo. He is the also the Associate Director of the Waterloo Institute for Health Informatics Research, Director of Urban Informatics Corporation and Associate Director for the Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence Laboratory.
His research interests include Intelligent Embedded Systems, Sensory Systems Design, Biologically Inspired Intelligent Systems and Human Computer Interface (HCI) Systems. As a result of his extensive research, Professor Basir has authored and co-authored over 400 scientific publications, and holds a total of 121 issued and pending patents.
Additionally, Professor Basir is the founder, president and CEO of Intelligent Mechatronic Systems and co-founder of Voice-Enabled Systems and Technology. Intelligent Mechatronic Systems Inc. (IMS) is a leader in telematics and infotainment technologies, including the convergence of both technologies to deliver the ideal connected car experience. The company’s innovations are pioneering the connected car category while making drivers smarter, safer and greener.
In addition to his many achievements, Professor Basir has also received multiple awards. He was the recipient of the Ontario Premier Research Excellence Award (PREA), the Canada Foundation Innovation Award, the Academic Leadership Award (University of Guelph) and Professor of the Year Award (University of Guelph).
- Intelligent embedded systems
- Sensory systems design
- HCI/HMI systems
- Biologically inspired intelligent systems
- Hybrid systems
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Embedded Neuro-Fuzzy systems design
- Reconfigurable sensor networks
- Mission critical systems
- Adhoc sensor networks
- Sensor fusion and integration
- Non-destructive testing (NDT)
- Machine vision
- Gesture recognition
- Discourse analysis
- Natural speech understanding
- Operational Artificial Intelligence
- Infrastructure integrity
- 1993, Doctorate, Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1989, Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Queen's University
- 1984, Bachelor of Science (BS), Computer Engineering, Al-Fateh University
- ECE 124 - Digital Circuits and Systems
- Taught in 2021, 2022
- ECE 457A - Co-operative and Adaptive Algorithms
- Taught in 2020, 2021
- ECE 493 - Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Taught in 2020, 2021, 2022
- ECE 659 - Intelligent Sensors & Wireless Sensor Networks
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- ALI, NASSER HASAN and ALI, BORHANUDDIN MOHD and BASIR, OTMAN and OTHMAN, MOHAMMAD LUTFI and HASHIM, FAZIRULHISYAM, SECOND GENERATION IEEE802. 11N PERFORMANCE FOR IEC61850-BASED SUBSTATION AUTOMATION SYSTEM., Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, 85(2), 2016
- Amar, Haitham Masaud and Drawil, Nabil M and Basir, Otman A, Traveler Centric Trip Planning: A Behavioral-Driven System, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 17(6), 2016, 1521 - 1537
- Hilal, Allaa R and Basir, Otman, A Collaborative Energy-Aware Sensor Management System Using Team Theory, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), 15(3), 2016
- Semnani, Samaneh Hosseini and Basir, Otman A and Van Beek, Peter, Constrained clustering for flocking-based tracking in maneuvering target environment, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2016
- Ali, Nasser Hasan and Ali, Borhanuddin Mohd and Basir, Otman and Othman, Mohammad Lutfi and Hashim, Fazirulhisyam, IEC 61850-BASED WLAN PEER-TO-PEER FEEDER PROTECTION IMPROVEMENT IN SMART GRID SUBSTATION AUTOMATION SYSTEM, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, 80(3), 2015
- Freeman, Cecille and Kulić, Dana and Basir, Otman, An evaluation of classifier-specific filter measure performance for feature selection, Pattern Recognition, 48(5), 2015, 1812 - 1826
- Hilal, Allaa R and Basir, Otman A, A scalable sensor management architecture using BDI model for pervasive surveillance, IEEE Systems Journal, 9(2), 2015, 529 - 541
- Semnani, Samaneh Hosseini and Basir, Otman A, Semi-flocking algorithm for motion control of mobile sensors in large-scale surveillance systems, IEEE transactions on cybernetics, 45(1), 2015, 129 - 137
- Ratemi, Wajdi Mohamed and Basir, Otman, Waterloo Numbers and Their Relation to Pascal Triangle and Polygons, The Aligarh Bulletin of Mathematics, 33(1-2), 2014, 39 - 53
- Drawil, Nabil and Basir, Otman, Modeling the impact of observation conditions on localization systems, Information Fusion, 15, 2014, 19 - 31
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.