Weihua Zhuang is a University Professor at the University of Waterloo with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, as well as a Tier I Canada Research Chair in Wireless Communication Networks. Professor Zhuang also has fellowships with the IEEE, Royal Society of Canada (RSC), Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE), and Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC). In 2021 she was recognized by the University of Waterloo for her exceptional scholarly achievement and international pre-eminence through the designation “University Professor."
Professor Zhuang’s current research involves engineering solutions for future communication networks, for applications in industrial IoT, autonomous driving, and smart communities, to name a few. Her research program encompasses topics such as network virtualization and slicing, service customized topology for virtual network over both wireless and wireline domains, adaptive networking protocols for virtual networks, and multi-dimensional resource allocation for transmission, processing, and caching. The research is empowered by both technical insights from model-based theoretical analysis and machine learning tools, in order to efficiently and effectively accommodate temporal-spatial dynamics and uncertainties of data traffic load due to user mobility and new use cases. Through her research, Professor Zhuang hopes to develop cost effective algorithms and protocols for network automation in future integrated space, air and terrestrial communication systems, to facilitate various new applications and to enhance users’ experience.
- Wireless communications and networking
- Connectivity and Internet of Things (IOT)
- Connected and autonomous vehicles
- Smart grid
- 1993, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, University of New Brunswick
- ECE 318 - Communication Systems
- Taught in 2022
- ECE 414 - Communication Systems 2
- Taught in 2021
- ECE 604 - Stochastic Processes
- Taught in 2020, 2022
- ECE 614 - Communications Over Fading Dispersive Channels
- Taught in 2020, 2021
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- W. Zhuang, Q. Ye, F. Lyu, N. Cheng, and J. Ren, “SDN/NFV empowered future IoV with enhanced communication, computing, and caching, Proceedings of the IEEE
- K. Qu, W. Zhuang, Q. Ye, X. Shen, X. Li, and J. Rao, Dynamic flow migration for embedded services in SDN/NFV-enabled 5G core networks, IEEE Transactions on Communications
- H.G. Moussa and W. Zhuang, Energy and delay aware two-hop NOMA-enabled massive cellular IoT communications, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 7(1), 558 - 569
- Q. Ye, W. Zhuang, X. Li, and J. Rao, End-to-end delay modeling for embedded VNF chains in 5G core networks, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 6(1), 692 - 704
- A. Abdalrahman Ahmed and W. Zhuang, PEV charging infrastructure siting based on spatial-temporal traffic flow distribution, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 10(6), 6115 - 6125
- S. Bharati, W. Zhuang, L.V. Thanayankizil, and F. Bai, "Link-layer cooperation based on distributed TDMA MAC for vehicular networks, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 66(7), 6415 - 6427
- H. Omar, W. Zhuang, and L. L, "VeMAC: a TDMA-based MAC protocol for reliable broadcast in VANETs, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 12(9), 1724 - 1736
In the news
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.
- Has Approved Doctoral Dissertation Supervisor (ADDS) status