University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W.
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 32469
The image above is of a Fluorite Mine which was visible when driving into the town of Madoc, Ontario, from the South. The mine operated between the 1960s and the 1970s. It produced beautiful fluorite crystals which were used for making lenses.
The Canada Talc Mine located in Madoc, Ontario was the oldest and longest running mine in Ontario. Mining operations began in 1896 and continued until 2010. It is one of only three mines on the planet which has been in steady operation for more than one hundred years.