GEAR is a 4-week English language program designed to enhance your knowledge and sharpen your English skills. With classes in reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar and Canadian culture, you will develop skills that will allow you to confidently communicate in any situation. GEAR offers something for everyone - from beginner to advanced.
GEAR is designed for:
- individuals aged 18 and older who are looking for a challenging and flexible short-term language program between 4 to 20 weeks
- students from foreign universities or high schools looking to experience Canadian culture in the winter season and be part of a Canadian university environment
GEAR offers many unique features:
- 100 hours of intensive English language programming with courses in reading skills, grammar and writing skills, listening and speaking skills, and Canadian culture.
- multiple levels from beginner to advanced (if student numbers permit)
- sessions offered throughout the year
- optional trips and activities to help you practice your English and experience Canada
- final assessment and achievement report
- a certificate from Renison English Language Institute at the University of Waterloo
On the first day of classes, you will complete a placement test to determine your course level.
|January 2019||January 7 - February 1, 2019||Registration closed|
|February 2019||February 4 - March 1, 2019||Registration closed|
|March 2019||March 4 - March 29, 2019||Registration closed|
|April 2019||April 1 - April 26, 2019||Registration closed|
|Aug-Sept 2019||August 26 - September 20, 2019||Registration open|
|October 2019||September 30 - October 25, 2019||Registration open|
|Oct-Nov 2019||October 28 - November 22, 2019||Registration open|
Sample class schedule
GEAR students receive 20 hours of classes per week in reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, and Canadian culture. Breaks are given during classes for students through out the day.
Sample schedule of GEAR student
|9:30 - 10:30||Reading||Reading||Writing||Listening & Speaking||Listening & Speaking|
|10:30 - 11:30||Writing||Reading||Writing||Listening & Speaking||Grammar|
|11:30 - 12:30||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch|
|12:30 - 1:30||Listening & Speaking||Grammar||Grammar||Writing|
|1:30 - 2:30||Grammar||Writing||Reading||Canadian culture|
|2:30 - 3:30||Canadian culture||Listening & Speaking|