The English Language Institute has carefully considered all factors around the feasibility of offering the General English at Renison (GEAR) during the fall 2020 months. Due to challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made the unfortunate decision to cancel the August/September, October, and November 2020 sessions of the program.
We regret any inconvenience.
GEAR is a 4-week English language program designed to enhance your knowledge and sharpen your English skills. With classes in reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, innovation enrichment and cultural studies, you will develop skills that will allow you to confidently communicate in any situation. GEAR offers something for everyone - from beginner to advanced.
GEAR is designed for:
- individuals aged 18 and older who are looking for a challenging and flexible short-term language program
- international students looking to experience Canadian culture in the winter season and be part of a Canadian university environment
GEAR offers many unique features:
- 95 - 100 hours of intensive English language programming
- multiple levels from beginner to advanced (if student numbers permit)
- sessions offered throughout the year
- optional trips and activities to help you practice your English and experience Canada
- continuous assessment and final achievement report (transcript)
- a certificate from Renison English Language Institute at the University of Waterloo
The first day of the program consists of placement testing and orientation. Classes begin on the second day of the program.
|Aug-Sept 2020||August 31 - September 25, 2020||Cancelled due to COVID-19|
|October 2020||October 5 - 30, 2020||Cancelled due to COVID-19|
|November 2020||November 2 - 27, 2020||Cancelled due to COVID-19|
|January 2021||January 11 - February 5, 2021||Registration open|
|February 2021||February 8 - March 5, 2021||Registration open|
|March 2021||March 8 - April 1, 2021||Registration open|
|April 2021||April 5 - 30, 2021||Registration open|
|May 2021||May 3 - 28, 2021||Registration open|
Sample class schedule
GEAR students receive 25 hours of English language programming per week in reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, innovation enrichment and cultural studies.
Sample schedule of GEAR student
|9:00 - 11:30||Writing/Grammar||Cultural Studies||Listening/Speaking||Cultural Studies||Writing/Grammar|
|11:30 - 1:00||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch|
|1:00 - 3:30||Innovation Enrichment||Reading||Innovation Enrichment||Reading||