Who are we?
As the Equity Office at the University of Waterloo, our job is to work with students, faculty and staff across campus to advance equity through evidence-based policies, practices and programs.
What we do:
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategic initiatives to advance equity on campus.
- Assist students, faculty and staff from underrepresented groups navigate solutions to equity-related barriers.
- Review and enhance University policies, procedures, and practices to address systemic barriers to equity.
- Provide guidance and advice on equity issues (including the duty to accommodate and other equity related legislative requirements).
- Build campus awareness on equity-related matters.
- Assist faculty and staff to embed equity in their jobs/programs/departments.
- Coordinate and evaluate initiatives to meet UWaterloo’s Employment Equity goals.
- Build relationships with stakeholders to collaborate on key equity initiatives.
How we support:
- By grounding equity initiatives and our recommendations in current legislation, robust data and consultation with people with lived experience.
- By using anti-oppressive, trauma informed approaches to support students, faculty and staff from equity seeking groups navigate UWaterloo structures and systems.
- By building strong collaborations on campus to embed equity across the institution.
- By engaging with equity seeking groups to amplify their perspectives and needs in key decision-making processes.
- By committing to continuous learning and improvement of our services.