You've got this! We're confident that you'll make the most of your time in quarantine. Although it may be hard, try to stay connected to your friends and family, do activities you love, and check out the list of resources below.
As a quarantine warrior, you should remember to:
1. Confirm your arrival
- Confirm with Waterloo that you have arrived in Canada using Portal (iOS, Android or web version) as soon as you arrive at the port of entry. If there are any changes to your flight, we also require that you notify us in Portal.
- Confirm with the Government of Canada that you have arrived at your place of quarantine using ArriveCAN (iOS, Android or web version) or by calling toll free 1-833-641-0343. This must be done within 48 hours of arriving in Canada.
Remember, the penalties for not complying with the quarantine requirements are steep and should be taken very seriously.
2. Stay at your quarantine location
Remain at your quarantine location for the entire duration of your quarantine unless directed otherwise by a Public Health official.
Submit your mandatory daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessment during the quarantine period to both:
the Government of Canada in ArriveCAN (iOS, Android or web version) or by calling 1-833-641-0343 toll-free. The Government may verify your compliance during your 14-day quarantine. You can expect calls, emails, and/or a visit by a screening officer.
UWaterloo by completing a short questionnaire that will be sent to you by email daily. Please note, if we're unable to reach you, there is an escalation process which could result in you being reported to the Region of Waterloo Public Health.
You can access your UHIP coverage for COVID-related medical doctor appointments, hospital stays and diagnostic tests. Note: The Student Extended Health and Dental insurance plan covers the cost of prescriptions.
Fall UHIP coverage is effective from August 10 or the date of your arrival in Canada, whichever comes last. Sunlife will start emailing UHIP cards in early September if you are Fees Arranged by the due date. Although you may not have your UHIP card in your possession, you are covered. Confirm if you've been enrolled in UHIP by reviewing your term fees in your Quest account.
If you have not yet received your UHIP card and you need to visit Health Services on campus, you can have them contact Student Financial Services (SFS) to confirm you're eligible for coverage despite not having your UHIP card in hand. The SFS team is unable to provide that service to off-campus clinics.
Urgent help and emergency supports are available to you.
There are ongoing scams targeting international students and you should remain aware. You should know:
- The University of Waterloo and the Government of Canada will not ask you to provide your financial details or your Social Insurance Number.
- Never provide personal information through email.
- Learn how to protect yourself against scams by visiting the Government of Canada's website. Also, UWaterloo's Information Systems & Technology has resources available to help you learn how to spot fraudulent emails and other phishing tactics:
- Contact University of Waterloo Police Services or your local police service immediately if you suspect you may be the victim of fraud or have been tricked into giving personal or financial information.
In addition to the two COVID-19 tests you completed already (72 hours prior to your departure and upon entering Canada), you must also complete the COVID-19 At Home Specimen Collection Kit you received upon arrival at your port of entry. Please follow any instructions provided to you by Switch Health.
We'd recommend you book your vaccine appointment on day 8 of quarantine for the day, or day after, your quarantine is complete. You can book your vaccine at the University's COVID-19 Vaccine Centre or at one of the COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics in Waterloo Region. You cannot break your 14-day quarantine to get a vaccine.
If you received your first dose outside of Ontario, you will need to fill out the Region of Waterloo's Out of Province COVID Immunization Form before you receive your second dose. It will ask you to share your current vaccination status and type of vaccination you received.
If you are unsure of your vaccination status because you either obtained a vaccine in another country or you are unsure if you are able to receive a vaccine, please contact Waterloo Region Public Health at 519-575 4400 and refer to their COVID-19 Guidance for Individuals Vaccinated outside of Ontario/Canada (PDF).
- Stay connected to your friends and family.
- Get physically active with Athletics and Recreation, and follow @wloorec for daily workouts, healthy habits and challenges.
- Access sleep, self-care and other health and wellness resources offered by Campus Wellness.
You're not in quarantine alone when you take part in the Quarantine Warrior's Support Group! Chat with other Warriors, take a deep breath with yoga, play games, win prizes and book a 1-1 appointment with a peer to stay connected to Waterloo during your quarantine. You're welcome to attend any or all sessions. Events will be scheduled each week on a rotational basis.
|Date and time||Activity|
|Monday at 7 p.m. EST||Quarantine Overview Presentation or Trivia (rotates every other week)|
|Tuesday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. EST||Book a 1:1 appointment with a peer|
|Wednesday 3 p.m. EST||Pop-up event - activity changes each week|
|Thursday 10:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. EST||Book a 1:1 appointment with a peer|
|Friday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. EST||Book a 1:1 appointment with a peer|
- Join the International Peer Community to connect with other Waterloo students.
Get technical support using UWaterloo systems from Information Systems & Technology.
- Reach out to the International Student Experience team if you have questions about supports or activities while in quarantine.
It's important to hold the correct documentation and follow immigration regulations in order to legally study and work in Canada. While in quarantine, we'd recommend you check over your immigration documents, such as your study permit and co-op work permit, to ensure they include correct personal details and proper working conditions. If something on your documents seems incorrect, connect with an immigration consultant to go over the issue.
To help you keep track of critical details, like your study and work permit expiry dates, use the new Immigration Reminder tool on Portal. Reminder emails will be sent out at key intervals to help you stay on track and provide relevant resources. Follow these steps:
- Log into Portal web
- Select your profile icon in the top right corner
- Enable "International Status"
- Click "Portal" to navigate back to your home dashboard
- Look for the "Immigration Reminders" tile on your dashboard
- Add reminders for your immigration documents (e.g. study permit)
Do you have questions about shopping for groceries or buying a mobile phone/phone plan? Find out this information and answers to other popular questions on the after you arrive webpage.
Or watch the 2020-2021 International Orientation for new Warriors video narrated by Hibatu Umar, UWaterloo international student in the Faculty of Health and former member of the SSO's International Student Experience team.
Your quarantine ends once:
- you've spent a minimum of 14 nights in quarantine and
- you're symptom free.
You must stay in quarantine until all the above criteria are met, which may be longer than 14 days to ensure your compliance. After completing your quarantine, continue following regional and university guidelines.
If you are required to extend your quarantine because:
- you test positive, or
- you feel unwell
inform Campus Wellness by email. Do not provide your test results via email. A Campus Wellness staff member will call you for details. Please note that emails sent on Saturday and Sunday will be replied to on Monday.
How are we doing?
We want to hear from you! Your feedback is important for contributing to improving our travel and quarantine services for future students. Please take a minute to tell us how we are doing.
Overall, how supported do you feel by the University of Waterloo during quarantine?