Prepare to travel / begin your studies

Do you have questions about your immigration documents, Canadian culture, or how to get ready for school? Whether you’re coming to Waterloo next term or studying from your home country, we've compiled a list of resources to answer your questions and help you prepare. Contact us at if you have further questions.

International student advising sessionApplying for key documents

Study permit

Work permit​

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Learn more about immigration support at UWaterloo

Students in a dorm. Accommodations and housing

Arranging short-term accommodation

Exchange student housing

Living on campus

Living off campus

student looking at tabletBanking and finances

Applying for financial assistance

Paying your tuition

Prepare a budget

Set up a Canadian bank account

Transferring money to Canada

students talkingLiving in Canada

Adapting to a new culture

Average temperatures during the year

Know more about Canadian society

Understand Canadian classroom culture

Understand the legal system

student on laptopGetting ready to depart for school

Prepare for exchange at Waterloo

Arranging travel to Waterloo