Dana Porter Library, Room 328
University of Waterloo Library
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
(519) 888-4567 x32795
: indicates a resource that is available from the Geospatial Centre.
: indicates a resource that is available outside of the University of Waterloo. These links will open in a new window.
: indicates a resource that is available from Scholars GeoPortal.
City and regional level
- DMTI Satellite StreetView (2002-present)
- The satellite images cover major Canadian cities and have 60 cm resolution, the highest resolution available on the commerical market. The imagery dates from 2002 to 2016.
- Air Photos Digitization Project
- 1,500 historical air photos for the years 1930 and 1945-47 of Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas were scanned and saved electronically.
- Regional Municipality of Waterloo
- Orthoimagery of the cities of Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge, and surrounding communities from 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014.
- Other Ontario cities and municipalities
- Orthomosaics and orthophotos ranging in dates from 1999 - 2013 covering the Capital Region, Lambton County, cities of Guelph, Brampton, London, and Hamilton.
- City of Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area (G.T.A.)
- Orthoimagery from G.T.A., including Toronto ranging from dates 1995-2013.
- City of Whitehorse 2006 Orthoimagery
- 2006 Orthomosaic of the City of Whitehorse, Yukon at 25 centimeter (cm) resolution.
- City of Vancouver
- 2008 Orthoimagery of the City of Vancouver, at 10 cm resolution.
- Colour Infrared (CIR) imagery from Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- This collection of approximately 64,000 Colour Infrared (CIR) aerial photos were collected by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources between 1994-2003 and covers most areas of Southern Ontario. Images are in Jpg2000 format, non-georeferenced and taken at approximately 1:10,000 scale.
- Scholars GeoPortal
- Scholars GeoPortal provides several imagery datasets for Ontario including: Water Protection QuickBird Imagery Project (2007), Digital Raster Acquisition Project Eastern Ontario (DRAPE) (2008-2009), Greater Toronto Area (G.T.A.)(2007), Southwestern Ontario Orthophotography Project (2006), Southwestern Ontario Orthophotography Project (2010), and City of Ottawa Aerial Ortho-photography Municipal Inventory Mapping (2005), Southcentral Ontario Orthophotography Project (2013), Southwestern Ontario Orphotography Project (2006, 2010, 2015)
- Digital Raster Acquisition Project for the East (DRAPE) imagery (2008 - 2009)
- DRAPE imagery covers approximately 54,000 square kilometres in eastern Ontario and was taken between January 2008 - January 2009.
- Data collection came from multiple remote sensing data products at 30cm and 10cm resolution. The Province of Ontario managed the imagery and made available a resampled 50 cm version of this data.
- Digital Raster Acquisition Project for the East (DRAPE) imagery (2014)
- DRAPE imagery covers approximately 37,290 square kilometres in eastern Ontario and was collected in leaf off conditions, between April 28th and June 7th, 2014.
- Data collection came from Leica ADS100 Digital Camera systems, including inertial measuring unit (IMU) and dual frequency airborne GPS receivers. Data resolution is 20 cm.
- Grand River watershed
- 2000 and 2006 orthoimagery covering the Grand River watershed, available at Geospatial Centre and on-line.
- Southwestern Ontario Orthophotogaphy Project (SWOOP) 2006
- Land Information Ontario, as well as most municipalities in southwestern Ontario and a number of other public and private sector organizations collaborated to acquire digital orthophotography for approximately 42,000 square kilometres of land in southwestern Ontario.
- Southwestern Ontario Orthophotography Project (SWOOP) (2010)
- Land Information Ontario, as well as most municipalities in southwestern Ontario and a number of other public and private sector organizations collaborated to acquire digital orthophotography for approximately 45,572 square kilometres of land in southwestern Ontario.
- Southcentral Ontario Orthophotography Project (SCOOP) (2013)
Under the guidance of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, over 40 private and government entities worked to produce this product. SCOOP digital imagery (20 cm resolution) was collected with sensor Leica geosystems ADS80 SH82 for areas of Ontario between April 26th and May 7th 2013.
The project encompassed an area of approximately 35,762 square kilometers, covering parts of South Central Ontario including Peterborough, Haliburton, Muskoka, Simcoe and surrounding areas.
The Southwestern Ontario Orthophotography Project (SWOOP) imagery data consists of Fugro acquired digital imagery with sensor Leica geosystems ADS100 collected between April 12th and May 23rd 2015. The project covers an area of approximately 49,167 square kilometers. Imagery acquisition was performed at 2,377 m AMT (above mean terrain) to produce a 20cm GSD RGBNiR orthorectified imagery and related products including a digital elevation model (DSM), digital surface model (DSM) and Lidar (LAS).
- This image data is the result of private and government entities working together under the coordination of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (OMNRF). Fugro was contracted by OMNRF to acquire and process the full colour digital imagery which encompassed an area of approximately 53,729 square kilometres; and collected between May 6th and June 10th, 2016 using Leica ADS100 Digital Camera systems. Imagery acquisition was performed at 2,377 meters above mean terrain (AMT) to produce a 20 cm resolution.
- QuickBird satellite imagery: Ontario coverage
- The QuickBird satellite images cover parts of Ontario and have 60 cm resolution.
- Government of B.C.
- Digital regional compilations of the geology of B.C. at 1:250,000-scale were made by the B.C. Geological Survey in 1992-96 in support of the Mineral Potential Project. These were released as Open Files (see References) and digital downloads from the B.C. Geological Survey website.
- Government of Yukon
- Geomatics Yukon has produced a series of Landsat mosaics and scene products for public distribution.
- Northwest Territories (N.W.T.) discovery portal
- Centre for Geomatics. Landsat 7 Enhanced Thematic Mapper (ETM). Imagery dates between 2003-2005 and is in TIF format.
- DMTI Satellite StreetView (2002-2010)
- The satellite images cover major Canadian cities and have 60 cm resolution, the highest resolution available on the commerical market. The imagery dates from 2002 to 2010.
- GeoBase Landsat 7 Satellite Imagery
- Complete set of cloud-free (less than 10%) orthoimages covering the Canadian landmass using data from the Landsat 7 satellite. Landsat 7 images used to produced this data set were captured between 1999 and 2003.
- GeoBASE SPOT Satellite Imagery (2005-2010)
- Complete set of medium resolution orthoimagery based on SPOT 4 / 5 covering all of Canada south of the 81st parallel. The first SPOT images of this dataset were collected in 2005 and the imagery collection is scheduled to be complete in 2010.
- SPOT Satellite Imagery of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo 1999.
- GeoBASE RADARSAT-1 Imagery (2001-2002)
- Above the 82 degree of latitude, 5 RADARSAT-1 orthoimages were used to complete the coverage of Landsat 7 imagery over Canada.
- GeoGratis Landsat 5 and 7 satellite imagery
- GeoGratis provides free access to its catalogue of LANDSAT 5 and LANDSAT 7 images. LANDSAT 5 imagery dates from 1984-1989, and covers only major urban areas, whereas LANDSAT 7 coverage dates from 2001-present.
- Geogratis Landsat multispectral scanner system (MSS): Great Lakes mosaic
- Mosaic of the Great Lakes watershed is composed of 82 Landsat MSS images acquired between June 1 and September 15 from 1985 to 1987. It is 7921 pixels by 7201 lines and contains 4 bands of data.
- Google Earth
- National Geographic Intelligence Agency
- Downloadable, ortho-rectified, seamless 10 metre dataset of orthophotos, made from rectified grayscale aerial images.
- Nasa World Wind
- World Wind lets you zoom from satellite altitude into any place on Earth. Leveraging Landsat satellite imagery and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data, World Wind lets you experience Earth terrain in 3D.
- WA 2000 Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM)
- Multispectral (30 m), Thermal (60 m), Panchromatic (15 m).
- Global Landsat GeoCover (1990)
- This near-worldwide set of 609 satellite imagery mosaics, marketed as 1990 GeoCover by Land Info Worldwide Mapping, is from Landsat 4/5 TM and includes three 30m multi-spectral bands 7-4-2. The Landsat images have been ortho-rectified, tonally balanced, mosaicked, tiled, and wavelett compressed.
- Global Landsat GeoCover (2000)
- This worldwide set of 770 satellite imagery mosaics, marketed as 2000 GeoCover by Land Info Worldwide Mapping, is from Landsat 7 Enhanced Thematic Mapper (ETM+); the 15m band was pan-sharpened with 30m multi-spectral bands 7-4-2. The Landsat images have been ortho-rectified, tonally balanced, mosaicked, tiled, and wavelett compressed.
- Washington State geospatial data archive
- The WAGDA website hosts some digital aerial photography and links to others.
- USGS Global Visualization Viewer (GLOVIS)
- View/ Purchase ASTER, EO-1, Landsat 35 year Archive, MODIS, & TerraLook (free download from Landsat Archive complete by 2/09).
- USGS seamless server
- Download imagery.
- Acres Landsat 7 mosaic of Australia
- Ortho-rectified mosaics with 25 pixel resolution are comprised from 369 satellite scenes taken between July 1999 and September 2000. Both distinct mosaics were produced by using different spectral bands.