Dana Porter Library, Room 328
University of Waterloo Library
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
(519) 888-4567 x32795
This vector data resource provides topographic, planning, and recreation information for the area encompassed by the City of Cambridge. With the exception of contours ( 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012), this dataset for the City of Cambridge is current to 2016.
Digital Terrain Model (DTM) data was created in 2006 and provided to the Geospatial Centre from the City of Cambridge in April 2008. For access to the individual tiles, please consult the index (PDF) to determine the tile identifiers for the area(s) that interests you.
Municipal data for the City of Cambridge is current to 2016.
Data resources for the City of Cambridge
- address points
- boundaries (municipal, neighbourhood, polling districts)
- building footprint
- city blocks
- contours (2005, 2006, 2009, 2012)
- digital terrain model (DTM)
- GRCA rain gauge station
- heritage properties
- landmarks (police, firestations, churches, schools, etc.)
- land use (agriculture, commercial, community core area, industrial, institutional, open space, residential)
- municipal boundary
- official plan (industrial, commercial, residential, agricultural, open space)
- pavement edges
- polling boundaries
- rain gauges
- rain gauge station (GRCA)
- sanitation (lift stations, manholes, pipes, flow monitoring station)
- sewage treatment plant
- sports facilities
- steam (catchbasin, receptor, inlet, manhole, outlet, culvert, lead, pipe, pond
- storm managmenet (catchbasins, inlets, outlets, manholes, leads, receptors, culverts, pipes, ponds, etc.
- streets with address ranges
- surface waters
- voting locations
- water main (break history)
- water pipe
- water service (break history)
- zoning (residential, commercial, agricultural, industrial)
Spatial reference and data type
These data sets are available in Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) co-ordinates; horizontal datum is North American Datum (NAD) 83. They are stored in Shapefile format. Other data formats can be accommodated, as the Geospatial Centre has access to a number of conversion utilities.
In order to access these data sets, please visit the Geospatial Centre reference desk during reference hours. Library reference staff are available to provide further information about these data sets and to deliver data upon request. Under the terms of the library's license agreement, these data sets are for use by students, faculty, and staff at the University of Waterloo only.
Data manipulation and storage
There are public workstations in the Geospatial Centre that provide access to ArcGIS software, program extensions and data manipulation utilities. Patrons may use the Geographic Information System (GIS) and image processing software in the library to view and manipulate the data. UWaterloo faculty, students and staff may copy these data for use elsewhere.
These data may be exported from ArcGIS in a choice of bitmapped formats (also known as raster graphics) including JPG, TIFF, GIF, and BMP or in a choice of vector graphics formats including Adobe Illustrator (AI), Encapsulated Postscript (EPS), and Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG). Yet another option is PDF.
These data are provided for personal use for academic, research, and/or teaching purposes. A data release agreement must be agreed to before these licensed data can be released. The City of Cambridge must be acknowledged on any derivative product, whether printed or electronic, including for example, a printed map, a raster or vector graphic, a web-based application, etc. Patrons are advised to fully respect the provisions of Canada's Copyright Act as well as terms and conditions imposed by the data provider.
City of Cambridge Municipal Data [computer file]. Cambridge, Ontario: City of Cambridge, .