Renison Continuing Education offers non-credit American Sign Language courses so community members can build their skills, connections, and awareness of the Deaf community!
Open to anyone (18 years of age+ OR with parental consent) in the community, register today!
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
These courses are not available for UW degree credit. Our courses are designed for adults. Students must be a minimum age of 15 to register and participate in a Community and Professional Education Course. If a student is between the ages of 15 and 17, a parent or guardian is required to complete and submit a consent form.
Winter 2024 Course Offerings (ASL)
Certificate Policy for ASL
After the successful completion of the course (achieving a minimum grade of 60%), you will be eligible to receive a certificate of completion.
Fees, & Cancellation, Withdrawal & Refund Policy (ASL)
Tuition (per course): $275.00 CAD
NOTE: beginning March 2023, Renison continuing education’s administrative fee will be incorporated into the total tuition price as listed above and will be charged to all registrants.
Cancellation, Withdrawal, and Refund Policy
- If a course is cancelled, the full tuition fee (inclusive of the administrative fee) will be refunded to students in full or they may defer their registration to the next term (deferrals can be made once).
- The administrative fee of $15.00 CAD is non-refundable unless the course is cancelled.
*The administrative fee applies to all students regardless of whether they have previously taken a Renison continuing education and/or Renison non-credit course previously.
- Studentsmay withdraw from a course up until the registration deadline for a full tuition refund. After the registration deadline, students may withdraw up until the day before the second class and be refunded 80% of their tuition. After this date, refunds will not be issued.
Requests to withdraw should be sent in writing over e-mail to email@example.com.
How to register & How to pay (ASL)
Registrations must be submitted through our student portal. Follow these steps to register for a continuing education course:
- Visit the Continuing Education Courses page in portal.
- Select ‘Details’ next to your course of interest.
- Select ‘Details’ next to the course session you want to register for (if there are no course sessions listed, dates have not yet been confirmed for upcoming classes; please check back later).
- Select ‘Add to Cart’; if you are not signed in to or signed up for an account, you will be prompted to do so now.
- Once in your shopping cart, select ‘Checkout’.
You will receive confirmation of your registration through e-mail to the e-mail address attached to your account. For questions about your course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you run into issues with registration, signing in/up, or have questions about portal, please contact email@example.com.
How to pay
Upon checkout in our student portal (see How to register for further instructions), you will be prompted to pay via online credit card payment.
NOTE: alternative payment options may be available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Course Description (ASL)
This introductory course is designed for the student with no previous knowledge of American Sign Language (ASL) or with limited basic competencies. Students learn to handle basic everyday communication ASL incorporating Deaf culture and Deaf Community content. Topics centre on Getting to Know you, Exchanging Personal Information, and Discussing Living Situations. Grammar is introduced in context with an emphasis on developing question and answer skills.
Course code: ASL 110