This 12-module online, self-guided, and asynchronous course, Volunteer Management for the Not-for-Profit Sector, addresses key components of volunteer management practices, standards, and strategies that are in demand within the not-for-profit sector. As a whole, the course will equip you with the skills and competencies required to understand the management of diverse groups of volunteers at the local, provincial, and national levels, while also understanding the unique trends and needs of the sector.
Registration deadline: February 20, 2024
Registration is OPEN.
PLEASE NOTE: this course is not available for UW degree credit.
PLEASE NOTE: we are glad to accept group registrations for groups larger than 5 participants; for further information on group pricing and registration, please contact email@example.com. This course does not lead to a volunteer management certification.
About the Course (VM)
This professional development course is online, self-guided, and asynchronous. It is comprised of 12 modules covering different areas of volunteer management (see a list of the modules below). Should you be looking to gain specific skills in a targeted area, we encourage you to engage the individual modules of the most interest to you. Each module has been put together by leading professionals in volunteer management. Together they provide unique and diverse perspectives on volunteer management in the not-for-profit sector.
Students will be given 3-months of online access to their course materials according to the session they register for (see Upcoming course dates). The course materials will be housed on online learning management system Canvas.
Each module is structured as follows
- an introduction of key concepts through lecture videos presented by various not-for-profit and/or volunteer management leaders
- a quiz of your comprehension of the key concepts introduced
- a deeper dive into themes through panel/interview style videos featuring presenters and other volunteer management leaders
- an opportunity to reflect and record on your learning
- an invitation to further explore the themes beyond the scope of the course through supplementary resources
|Understanding Volunteerism in the Not-for-Profit Sector
|Volunteer Engagement as a Concept
|Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement
|Intersectionality of Human Resources and Volunteer Management
|Volunteering in Fundraising and Development
|Board Members as Volunteers
|Adapting Volunteer Management for your Audience
|Wrap-up and Review
PLEASE NOTE: we are glad to accept group registrations for groups larger than 5 participants. For further information on group pricing and registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO IS THE COURSE DESIGNED FOR? (VM)
This online, self-guided, and asynchronous course is designed for individuals...
- with an investment and/or interest (professional or personal) in the not-for-profit sector and
- seeking an introduction to the foundational skills and competencies regarding volunteer management practices, strategies, and standards
PLEASE NOTE: this course does not lead to a volunteer management certification.
UPCOMING COURSE DATES (VM)
February 21, 2024 - May 21, 2024
February 20, 2024
PLEASE NOTE: this course is online, self-guided, and asynchronous; we are also glad to accept group registrations for groups larger than 5 participants. For further information on group pricing and registration, please contact email@example.com.
Registration deadline: February 20, 2024
Registration is OPEN
TUITION FEES & WITHDRAWAL AND REFUND POLICY (VM)
Tuition: $100.00 CAD (per participant)
PLEASE NOTE: we are also glad to accept group registrations for groups larger than 5 participants. For further information on group pricing and registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy (individual registrants)
- Students may withdraw from the course up until 11:59PM EST on the registration deadline for their session for a full tuition refund. After this date, refunds will not be issued.
Requests to withdraw should be sent in writing over e-mail to email@example.com.
HOW TO REGISTER & HOW TO PAY (VM)
Registrations must be submitted through our student portal. Follow these steps to register for a continuing education course:
- Visit the Volunteer Management page in portal.
- Select ‘Details’ next to the course session you want to register for (if there are no course sessions listed, dates have not yet been confirmed for upcoming classes; please check back later).
- Select ‘Add to Cart’; if you are not signed in to or signed up for an account, you will be prompted to do so now.
- Once in your shopping cart, select ‘Checkout’.
You will receive confirmation of your registration through e-mail to the e-mail address attached to your account. For questions about your course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you run into issues with registration, signing in/up, or have questions about portal, please contact email@example.com.
How to pay
Upon checkout in our student portal (see How to register for further instructions), you will be prompted to pay via online credit card payment.
NOTE: alternative payment options may be available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This course was put together with support and leadership from stakeholders at Volunteer Waterloo Region as well as various leaders from across the not-for-profit sector and in the area of Volunteer Management.