Smart grids and microgrids:
- Energy storage dynamic and static modeling for impact and dispatch studies of grids and microgrids.
- Energy management systems for customers and distribution feeders, and study and optimal management of the impact of smart loads in transmission and distribution systems, as well as microgrids.
- Microgrids planning, dispatch, control, and stability analysis, particularly of unbalanced, remote (isolated) systems, considering technical, economic, and social issues.
- Modeling, simulation, and control of distributed generation (DG), for both large grids and microgrids.
- Integration of renewables, particular wind and solar power, and energy storage systems considering their impact in dispatch, stability, and control in large grids and microgrids.
- Electric vehicles’ smart charging and their impact on transmission and distribution systems.
Stability and security analysis and improvements of power systems in a deregulated environment and in the context of smart grids:
- Study and manage the impact of converter-based renewable energy generation, particularly wind- and solar-power plants, on the stability of power grids.
- Pricing of system security and controls.
- Stability analysis of power systems including HVDC and FACTS controllers, and development of new analysis methodologies and control strategies to monitor and avoid stability problems.
- Development of efficient computational tools for the analysis of stability, dispatch and planning problems in power systems.
- Application of optimization techniques to bifurcation and stability-constrained OPF problems.
- Nonlinear system theory application to power systems, particularly the study of bifurcations and chaotic behavior.
Optimal management and forecasting:
- Development of dispatch tools including DG and generation and load uncertainties.
- Reactive power management and markets.
- Probabilistic and stochastic OPF problems in grid dispatch and planning considering variable load and generation.
- Load and price forecasting.
Simulation and studies of energy systems with multiple energy carriers:
- Optimization and economic studies of multi-energy systems.
- Feasibility studies of hydrogen systems with emphasis on the use of hydrogen as a storage medium for solar- and wind-power integration.
Simulation, modeling and analysis of FACTS controllers in power systems:
- Development and validation of dynamic and power flow models.
- Design and development of control strategies.