The English Conversation Circles (ECC) provides a friendly, informal space for undergraduate and graduate English Language Learners (ELL) to practice conversational English, make friends, and discuss intercultural topics. Our facilitators encourage open discussions about Canada and the international community through unique scenario-based activities. We meet twice per week over a 6-week period, and our sessions are led by WCC staff and volunteers.
You can register for our Wednesday or our Thursday sessions – or even both! Registration is open to all University of Waterloo students.
English Language Learners who participate in the ECC program will
- Improve competency in understanding and speaking conversational English
- Develop confidence in being able to use English in their everyday lives
- Increase awareness of slang, idioms and commonly used expressions
- Feel more comfortable communicating to speakers of English in a variety of social settings
- Meet new people and expand their network at Waterloo
- Feel more comfortable navigating a new culture and environment
- Feel supported in their transition to Waterloo
The English Conversation Circles mission is to provide a quality program for English Language Learners to support their spoken English needs and goals through weekly conversation practice.
Fall 2023 English Conversation Circles
Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Start and end dates
Wednesday sessions: September 27 – November 8
Thursday sessions: September 28 – November 9
*no classes during Reading Week