English for Multilingual Speakers (EMLS) courses for undergraduate students
English Language Studies at Renison University College offers EMLS credit courses for University of Waterloo undergraduate students who want to improve their English language skills.
- All courses are four hours per week for 12 weeks.
- Times and locations of courses are listed on the Quest undergraduate schedule of classes.
- Some EMLS writing courses are considered English Language Proficiency Exam (ELPE) replacements (check your faculty’s requirements)
EMLS credit course descriptions and outlines
- EMLS 101R, Oral Communication for Academic Purposes (PDF):
Improve your speaking fluency in both informal and formal settings by working on pronunciation, patterns of information presentation, vocabulary development, and non-verbal communication.
- EMLS 102R, Clear Communication in English Writing (PDF):
Develop your ability to write and edit sentences and paragraphs. There is a strong emphasis on grammatical accuracy and vocabulary development.
- EMLS 103R, Effective English Pronunciation (PDF):
Learn about the English sound system. A focus on individual sounds (vowels and consonants) as well as syllable and sentence stress, rhythm and intonation will help you identify aspects of pronunciation that might improve your communication.
- EMLS 104R, Reading and Listening for Academic Purposes (PDF):
Develop macro and micro reading and listening strategies to improve your reading comprehension and speed, your listening and note-taking skills, and your academic vocabulary.
EMLS 110R, Critical Expression in Canadian Academic Contexts (PDF):
Develop your communication skills by considering how Canadian cultural values influence written and spoken communication in university and workplace settings.
- EMLS 129R, Written Academic English (PDF):
Learn how to write effectively in an academic environment. The class provides instruction in grammar, writing, and organizational patterns of essays.
*This course is also offered online.
How to enrol
- Visit the Quest undergraduate schedule of classes to see which terms, dates, and times EMLS credit courses are being offered.
- Enrol in EMLS undergraduate credit courses on Quest.
- If you are an undergraduate student who failed the ELPE exam, follow the instructions given by the University of Waterloo Writing Centre.
Note: You must be a University of Waterloo registered degree student in undergraduate studies to enrol in an EMLS undergraduate credit course.