Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567, x33326
Shehryar is a Research Engineer and senior PhD Candidate who completed his Honors BASc in Mechanical Engineering (Welding and Joining Specialization) with a Minor in Economics with Distinction. Since starting his graduate program, he has worked tirelessly to maintain an impeccable academic record while meeting the objectives of his research. He is one of the top graduate students in our research group, reflected by the fact that his work output has been consistently so high that he met the objectives of his MASc project in under a year. His colleagues, industry liaisons, and his graduate committee were so impressed with his productivity and research potential that they recommended him for a direct transfer from MASc to PhD. The Mechanical Engineering Department approved his PhD transfer application, and he was awarded the Engineering Dean’s Entrance Scholarship on account of his outstanding academic average.
Shehryar has served as the Chapter Chair for the Canadian Welding Bureau's student chapter at the University of Waterloo since 2019. In recognition of his leadership qualities, he was made the Graduate Student Coordinator for CAMJ with the responsibility of organizing weekly seminars in which members of the research group present their work to colleagues and professors allowing them to continually improve their presentation skills. Shehryar also holds the position of Engineering Consultant for the Engineering Computing Department and he is a Discipline Specialist for the Student Success Office. He has also held teaching assistant (TA) positions for engineering courses at UW and Conestoga College, having been recognized for his communication and teaching skills through nominations for multiple teaching awards. Shehryar has been invited to several guest lectures for courses in Materials Science and Welding and Joining.
Shehryar has published several peer-reviewed journal papers, has an international patent to his name, and has given numerous technical presentations at the institutional, national and international levels. Shehryar holds an NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship and has won numerous awards and scholarships during his time as a graduate student. CAMJ is proud to have Shehryar as an integral part of this research group. We are excited to see what the future holds for him!
- J. Cheng, G. Song, Z. Zhang, M. Shehryar Khan, Z. Liu, L. Liu, Improving heat-affected zone softening of aluminum alloys by in-situ forced cooling and post-weld rolling, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 117639 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2022.117639
- Y-H. Cho, M. Shehryar Khan, F. Goodwin, Y.N. Zhou, Effect of torch angle and position on bead geometry and joint strength during arc brazing of thin-gauge dual-phase steel, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-022-09309-7
- A. Ghatei-Kalashami, M. Shehryar Khan, M. Lee, Y.N. Zhou, High-temperature phase evolution of the ZnAlMg coating and its effect on mitigating liquid-metal-embrittlement cracking, Acta Materialia 229 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2022.117836
- M. Shehryar Khan, P. Enrique, A. Ghatei-Kalashami, J.G. Lopes, N. Schell, J.P. Oliveira, E. Biro, Y.N. Zhou, (2022), The influence of in-situ alloying of electro-spark deposited coatings on the multiscale morphological and mechanical properties of laser welded Al-Si coated 22MnB5, Materials Science and Engineering: A. 839 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2022.142830
- M. Shehryar Khan, S. Ali, D. Westerbaan, W. Duley, E. Biro, Y.N. Zhou, The effect of laser impingement angle on the optimization of melt pool geometry to improve process stability during high-speed laser welding of thin-gauge automotive steels, Journal of Manufacturing Processes 78 (2022) 242–253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2022.04.022
- M. Shehryar Khan, Y.-H. Cho, M. Alfano, F. Goodwin, E. Biro, Y.N. Zhou, A systematic study on the effect of coating type and surface preparation on the wettability of Si-Bronze brazing filler material on GI and GA- coated DP600, Surface and Coatings Technology 425 (2021) 127735 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2021.127735
- M. Shehryar Khan, M.H. Razmpoosh, A. Macwan, E. Biro, Y. Zhou, Optimizing weld morphology and mechanical properties of laser welded Al-Si coated 22MnB5 by surface application of colloidal graphite, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 293 (2021) 117093. doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2021.117093
- Y-H Cho, M. Shehryar Khan, B. Klassen, F. Goodwin, & Y. Zhou, Influence of surface treatment on joint strength during MIG brazing of GI and GA coated DP600. (2021) Sheet Metal Welding Conference XIX.
- M. Shehryar Khan, D. Westerbaan, W.W. Duley, E. Biro, & Y.N. Zhou, The Impact of Laser Impingement Angle on Process Stability and Weld Geometry During High-Speed Laser Welding of Automotive Steels. (2021) Sheet Metal Welding Conference XIX.
- M. Shehryar Khan, E. Biro, A. Macwan, N.Y. Zhou, α-ferrite Suppression during Fiber Laser Welding of Al- Si Coated 22MnB5 Press-Hardened Steel, Welding Journal (2021). DOI: 10.29391/2021.100.018
- M. Shehryar Khan, S.I. Shahabad, M. Yavuz, W.W. Duley, E. Biro, Y. Zhou, Numerical modelling and experimental validation of the effect of laser beam defocusing on process optimization during fiber laser welding of automotive press-hardened steels, Journal of Manufacturing Processes 67 (2021) 535–544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2021.05.006
- M.H. Razmpoosh, M. Shehryar Khan, A. Ghatei Kalashami, A. Macwan, E. Biro, N.Y. Zhou, Effects of laser beam defocusing on high-strain-rate tensile behavior of press-hardened Zn-coated 22MnB5 steel welds, Optics and Laser Technology 141 (2021) 107116. doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2021.107116
- M. Shehryar Khan, P. Enrique, G. Song, M.I.S.T. Faria, Y. Zhou, Laser-assisted wire cladding using a retrofitted laser welding system, Surface Engineering 37 (2021) doi.org/10.1080/02670844.2020.1820266
- M. Shehryar Khan, M.H. Razmpoosh, E. Biro, Y. Zhou, A review on the laser welding of coated 22MnB5 press-hardened steel and its impact on the production of tailor-welded blanks, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 25 (2020) 447–467. doi.org/10.1080/13621718.2020.1742472
- G. Song, S. Zhao, M. Shehryar Khan, J. Chen, M. Yao, Microscale bonding mechanism of Mg alloy and steel welded joint with nanoscale Al-based intermetallic compound interface layers, Materials Today Communications 26 (2021) 101924. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtcomm.2020.101924
- Process development and optimization for Laser Welding, Laser Brazing, MIG Brazing, and Laser-Arc Hybrid Brazing used in the automotive industry
- Numerical modelling of 3D laser heat sources to simulate laser welding
- Physical metallurgy
- Welding metallurgy
- Advanced materials characterization (specifically for coated advanced high strength steels and Cu-based brazing alloys) using techniques such as digital image correlation, optical and laser microscopy, image analysis, SEM, EBSD, EPMA, XRD, and TEM.
- Advanced data processing techniques
- Alloy design and modelling
- Phase transformation kinetics
- Diffusion kinetics
- Advanced mechanical testing of welded and brazed joints for automotive applications
- Professor Norman Zhou
- Professor Elliot Biro
Teaching Experience and Credentials
- Completed the Fundamentals in University Teaching Program offered by the Center for Teaching Excellence (Diploma)
- Currently completing the Certificate in University Teaching offered by the Center for Teaching Excellence
- Teaching Assistant – ME 115 (Structure & Properties of Materials) – University of Waterloo | Winter 2019, Spring 2019 |
- Teaching Assistant – Mech72130 (Dynamics) – Conestoga College | Spring 2018, Spring 2019 |
- Guest Lectures: ME 115, ME 235, ME 535, ME 735
- Relevant Courses: Industrial Metallurgy, Welding and Joining, Energy Conversion, Machine Design, Intro to Mechanics, Mechanics of Deformable Solids, Manufacturing Processes, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Differential Equations, Dynamics of Machines, Heat Transfer, Advanced Calculus, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering Design