The Environmental Isotope Laboratory will be closed from Monday December 23 to Friday January 3, 2020 for the holidays. Please arrange for perishable samples to arrive before Wednesday December 18, 2019 or after January 6, 2020 to ensure shipments are received and processed promptly.
Forms and Templates
- Generic Sample Submission Template (XLSX)
- EA Sample Tray Submission Template (XLSX)
- Billing Information Form (DOCX)
- Customs Clearance Form (DOCX)
- Chain of Custody Form (DOCX)
- Before sampling be sure to check the requirements associated with your analysis of interest (duplicates, recommendations, volume requirements, preservation techniques, etc.)
- Always make sure to take a well mixed homogenous sub-sample, paying close attention to headspace and preservation requirements for the analyses of interest.
- Detailed analysis specific sampling information can be found in Analytical Services. "More information" is available for each analysis under the heading "Sample Submission".
- We require the actual chemistry/concentrations of the samples provided to us to perform the analyses including units. This is critical as sample preparations are based on this information. If samples need to be reprocessed due to incorrect information, an additional fee may be incurred.
- IAEA water sampling tutorial for isotopic analysis
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency operating procedure for well sampling (PDF)
- If possible, list samples in a logical or chronological order.
- Make sure to use a sample labelling convention that can be easily cross-referenced to your sample list.
- Use clear tape to cover any and all labels. Condensation or a broken bottle can wash away and obfuscate ink making it impossible to identify samples.
- If possible, number all lids sequentially (corresponding to the "#" column on your sample list).
- If ANY preservative is used, please list the type and amount on each bottle as well as your submitted sample list.
- Include a copy of your sample list with your samples.
- If glass containers are used, ensure proper packaging and spacing between vials (glass on glass leads to breakage).
- Ensure all applicable forms are filled out and emailed to the EIL as well as included with your shipment.
- International clients must include a copy of your customs clearance form (DOCX) visible on the outside of your shipping container. Please let us know if there are any supplemental taxes at your end that we need to account for. There are no Canadian taxes for research.
- Make sure to indicate that the shipment is Delivered Duty Paid (DDP). When preparing the Waybill for your carrier, check all transportation charges to sender and all duties and taxes to sender.
- Billing will occur after analyses are complete.