GARLS Minutes: January 7, 2020
- Lunch & Learn: Open access publishing will be the first one and Abstract writing discussing ideas. Abstract writing will be late January or early February. Still looking for facilitator for abstract writing. Citation management software will be scheduled late February. Open to more suggestions.
- In favour of TA unionization if planned to proceed along that route.
- Finance: Budget of approximately $2000. Leaving aside $500-700 for symposium.
- Symposium: Rough estimate of facility contribution. Discussions around Hallman Fund and application and is under review from faculty. Initiative fund discussion for application in the spring. Catering is discussed with ideas of Taco Farm, Zorro’s, Sobey’s Catering, Costco, etc. Day of volunteers needed start of February. Call will go out next week for abstracts. Tentative due date is a month away from email, more details in emails. Reception/social to follow.
- Social: Three options to discuss.
- Bowling and food at Bingaman’s.
- (Priority) Skating at CIF with rentals with hot chocolate and coffee to follow. We are looking at skating for early February on a Weekday (Thursday night) more details to follow. Looking at Tim Hortons for coffee, hot chocolate, and timbits and Costco for other snacks (cookies, etc.). Possible dates February 8, 9, 26, 27 @ 6:30 (tentative). Or meet and go to free skate at CIF still tentative.
- Tubing at Chicopee at $17 a person and has a chalet there for get together social stuff.
- Last one, Laurel Creek hike/camping stuff (marshmallows and campfire) with a shelter available to rent.
- Compassion Award! Boost moral! Contacted local area to get gifts, and possible funding through GARLS fund (movie passes, gift cards, free trials, etc.). Two (2) people a month for the Winter semester. Create a document to allow for people to nominate grad students. Any grad student and faculty can nominate anyone. Email more details to follow. Nomination will be due middle of the month and the winners will be announced at the end of the month.