Changes are coming to this website. Learn more ➜

Ontario Visiting Graduate Student (OVGS) program

What is the Ontario Visiting Student (OVGS) program?

The Ontario Visiting Graduate Student (OVGS) plan allows a graduate student of an Ontario university (home university) to take graduate courses at another Ontario university (host university) while remaining enrolled at his/her own university. The plan allows the student to bypass the usual application for admission procedures and resultant transfer of credit difficulties. The student enrols and pays fees to his/her home university and is classed as an "Ontario Visiting Graduate Student" at the host university where he/she pays no fees.

How do I apply?

To be admitted to another Ontario university under the OVGS plan:

  • Consult with your supervisor and/or your academic department to determine if this is the right fit to meet your degree requirements.
  • Complete all sections that pertain to you of the Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Application form (Graduate Studies forms website).
  • Submit the form to your graduate academic department for approval by the Chair.

Your application will then be forwarded by your graduate academic department to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs to obtain:

  • The approval of Associate Provost (home university).
  • The approval of the Chair and Graduate Dean of the host university.

Joint program students in Geography and Environmental Management: University of Waterloo graduate students who are registered in the joint program offered with Wilfrid Laurier University may complete the online joint program registration request at partner university application.

Your admission to the host university is not complete until both the home and host universities have approved the course enrolment indicated on your application

How do I select courses?

When planning your course selection through the Ontario Visiting Graduate program, make sure:

  • That the course is at the graduate level and no comparable course is offered through the University of Waterloo.
  • That it is a requirement for your degree program.
  • That the course is taken for credit only (not for audit or extra to your degree).
  • That a maximum of two half credit (0.50) or one full credit (1.00) is taken.

Please note that you are subject to any regulations of your home university with respect to the maximum number of courses which may be taken at another Ontario university.

How do I know that I am registered and enrolled?

You are considered enrolled for the course(s) you plan on taking at the host university when:

  • Your approved application has been received and processed by your home university's Graduate Studies Office.
  • Your full fee arrangement has been made to your home university for the academic term(s) during which the course is taken.
  • The course(s) appears as a transfer course by viewing your unofficial graduate transcript through your Quest account.

How will I receive my grade?

The course instructor is accountable for reporting all final grades to their home institutions Graduate Studies Office.  It is your responsibility to follow up with the course instructor of the host university concerning the assignment of final grades.

At the completion of your coursework, you will need to make arrangements to order an official transcript from the host university to be forwarded to:

OVGS Administrator

University of Waterloo
Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs
Needles Hall - Room 2201
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1

As soon as final grades become available from the host university:

  • Your grade will be posted to your University of Waterloo graduate academic record.
  • Confirm receipt of the grade by viewing your unofficial graduate transcript through your Quest account.

What if I need to withdraw?

If you are not able to attend or continue with your enrolment in the Ontario Visiting Graduate Student plan you are required to: