At a glance:
- February 1 (for admission in September)
Graduate research fields
- Experimental Digital Media
- Literary Theory and Discourse Analysis
Minimum admission requirements
- Students may be admitted to the PhD program upon completion of an MA program in English. Although candidates normally enter PhD studies from Master's programs, it is possible for outstanding candidates to enter directly from an Honours Bachelor of Arts (BA). Because enrolment in the program is limited, only candidates with an 85% average and up will be considered. Applicants should also complete a Plan of Study detailing plans for their PhD studies and describing their goals once their studies are completed.
- Three academic references
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable. TOEFL 100 (writing 26, speaking 26), IELTS 7.5 (writing 7.0, speaking 7.0)
Approximate tuition, fees, and living costs
- Canadian and permanent resident students, full-time: $2,254.00 tuition and $491.01 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- International students, full-time: $7,182.00 tuition and $703.01 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- Due to funding restrictions, the Faculty of Arts is currently limiting the number of international students we can admit. Please contact the department's Associate Chair, Graduate Studies prior to applying to discuss your interest in this program.
- Study and living costs
This video by Waterloo English Language and Literature PhD student Jason Lajoie placed 2nd in the 2019 GRADflix competition.