|Faculty||Faculty of Arts|
Fall (September - December)
|Application and document submission deadline(s)||
February 1 (for admission in September)
|Program type||Joint, Master's, Research|
|Length of program||24 months (full-time)|
|Registration option(s)||Full-time, Part-time|
|Study option(s)||Thesis, Master's Research Paper, Coursework|
What does it take to get in?
Minimum admission requirements
- The minimum standard for admission to the program is an Honours Bachelor's degree in History with a 77% average calculated on the basis of the student's History courses in the last two years of undergraduate study, excluding any first year level courses which may have been taken during those two years.
- A statement of historical interest.
- Review the finding a supervisor resources
- Supplementary information form (SIF)
- The SIF contains questions specific to your program, typically about why you want to enrol and your experience in that field. Review the application documents web page for more information about this requirement
- If a statement or letter is required by your program, review the writing your personal statement resources for helpful tips and tricks on completion
- Writing sample
- Two academic references are required.
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable
TOEFL 100 (writing 26, speaking 26), IELTS 7.5 (writing 7.0, speaking 7.0)
How much will it cost?
- Use the student budget calculator to estimate your cost and resources
- Visit the graduate program tuition page on the Finance website to determine the tuition and incidental fees per term for your program
- Review the study and living costs
- Review the funding graduate school resources for graduate students
What can you expect at Waterloo?
- Review the degree requirements on the Graduate Studies Academic Calendar, including the courses that you can anticipate taking as part of completing the degree
- Check out profiles of current graduate students to learn about their experience at Waterloo
- Check out Waterloo's institutional thesis repository - UWspace to see recent submissions from the Department of History graduate students
- Check out the Waterloo campus and city tours
- Review the Department of History website to see information about supervisors, research areas, news, and events