At a glance:
- February 1 (for admission in September)
Minimum admission requirements
- Successful completion of a four-year Honours Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with a minimum 75% average. The Bachelor's degree will normally be in a field relevant to public health.
- Students must submit a personal essay of no more than 500 words explaining the education and work experiences 1) that have brought them to the decision to apply to the MPH program; and 2) how the MPH will help them in their future career.
- Ideally, students will have prior work experience in a public health setting. Co-operative work terms and/or volunteer experience are acceptable.
- Students must have a suitable background in statistics to meet prerequisite standards for all graduate level courses, before beginning coursework. An undergraduate course in statistical methods completed within the past five years with a minimum grade of 75% is required. Exceptions to this requirement may be made on occasion by admission committees considering student background and demonstrated analytic abilities.
- Students will be recruited as recent graduates from 4-year Bachelor of Science (BSc) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) programs in Health Studies and related disciplines, or alternatively as mature students holding a 4-year degree in a related discipline with relevant work experience in population and public health. Students with advanced professional degrees in recognized health disciplines (e.g. MD, DVM) are also eligible for admission.
- Two references, academic or professional; at least 1 reference must be academic. If applicants have been out of school for an extended period of time (>5 years) and are unable to supply an academic reference they may submit two professional references. Please ensure that one professional referee is able to comment on the applicants academic ability and potential.
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable. TOEFL 100 (writing 26, speaking 26), IELTS 7.5 (writing 7.0, speaking 7.0)
- School of Public Health and Health Systems does not consider international applications whose English language proficiency scores fall below the minimum requirements
Approximate tuition, fees, and living costs
- Canadian and permanent resident students, full-time: $2,254.00 tuition and $42.80 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- International students, full-time: $9,764.00 tuition and $42.80 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- Study and living costs