On Sept 29 the following email was sent to current graduate students
To: All employees and students
From: Feridun Hamdullahpur, President and Vice-Chancellor
Subject: COVID-19 testing begins on campus October 1
- Our Health Services COVID-19 Testing Assessment Centre will open in the Health Services building on October 1.
- Testing is only available by appointment to University of Waterloo students and employees at this time.
As announced earlier this month, testing for COVID-19 will be available on campus beginning October 1.
I am pleased to move forward with this further step in our community’s response to the pandemic and share these important details about the process for getting tested at this centre.
The new Health Services COVID-19 Testing Assessment Centre is located in the Health Services building and will be available to University of Waterloo students and employees. To help maintain safety at the testing centre and on campus, please read the following carefully before booking an appointment to get tested.
Who can get tested for COVID-19 at this centre?
The Health Services COVID-19 Testing Assessment Centre is open to University of Waterloo students, employees and postdocs.
The University’s agreement with St. Mary’s Hospital is for a campus service and not a service made broadly available to the local community. We are exploring whether this mandate can be expanded at some point in the future.
When should I get tested?
In response to the high demand for testing, the Province of Ontario recently announced new criteria for getting tested.
If you are showing COVID-19 symptoms, or your public health unit or the COVID Alert app notifies you that you have been exposed to a confirmed case of the virus, book an appointment to be tested.
How do I make an appointment for testing?
Testing is by appointment only. You do not need a doctor’s referral to get tested.
To make an appointment:
- Complete this online COVID-19 Assessment Registration Form.
- Once registered online, you will be contacted with an appointment date and time. Appointment times will be from Monday to Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
What do I do if I test positive?
If you are a student and have tested positive for the virus or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus, contact Health Services and they will guide you through next steps.
If you are a staff or faculty member, contact Occupational Health and they will guide you through next steps.
Important safety reminders
We all have an important part to play in limiting the spread of COVID-19. Please remember to follow public health guidelines and the University’s health and safety recommendations.
If you are coming to campus, be sure to:
- Review the Welcome Back Waterloo guide.
- Check in by connecting to the eduroam Wi-Fi network or by completing the Campus Check-in form every day you visit campus and for every building you visit.
- Complete the COVID-19 self-assessment each day before you arrive on campus.
- Wear a face covering in common indoor areas.
- Wash or sanitize your hands frequently.
We must continue to look out for one another and each do our part to keep our campus community safe.
You can learn more about COVID-19 testing on the Health Services website.